The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bacon_Drizzle

Reaction score
Do some more research to find out where the wires were spliced into the OE harness, maybe your tail light wire is grounded there?
I’ll do some more looking around but I’d probably need to remove the bumper to really see what’s going on. Should I start a new thread with pictures and what not?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw if you got your original manual it tells you the color of wires and what they go too for the trailer hitch. Also there are accessory wires behind the driver rear fender. Behind tire. Wires wrapped in a loom if stock and not messed with

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres some pics of what I'm talking about btw:)

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were you I redo the wires with heat shrink or something better. When your in there you can see the condition of the wires and possibly where they were tapped

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a Pull-A-Part nearby, get a good harness out of a junkyard Suburban. When I replaced mine every pickup harness I looked at was badly hacked, but the 'burbs were usually clean. For some weird reason not all the pickup harnesses have the extra pigtail, but all the 'burbs did.View media item 32065

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If you have a Pull-A-Part nearby, get a good harness out of a junkyard Suburban. When I replaced mine every pickup harness I looked at was badly hacked, but the 'burbs were usually clean. For some weird reason not all the pickup harnesses have the extra pigtail, but all the 'burbs did.View media item 32065
Burbs may have been set up for the towing package, even if they didn't have a factory installed hitch. My guess anyway. The big plug where the 2 sides of the light wiring harness meets is where the aftermarket connector for a trailer plug goes. If you have to add this wiring, that's the way to do it. Connects to the correct wires and keeps everything sealed up.