The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
When you check for power at the motor, you have to swap polarity. The reason your meter only registered power going up is because that side becomes ground when going down. The issue kind of sound to me like you might have a broken wire where it goes into the door hingeline. Constant bending back and forth from opening and closing doors will tend to stress wires over time.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
When you check for power at the motor, you have to swap polarity. The reason your meter only registered power going up is because that side becomes ground when going down. The issue kind of sound to me like you might have a broken wire where it goes into the door hingeline. Constant bending back and forth from opening and closing doors will tend to stress wires over time.

Good info thank you! I'll continue my search in the harness.

If anyone else has had this issue please chime in!

rytari

Reaction score
I have 96 k3500 with annoying electrical problem, usually at morning i dont have power for the glow, ecm and fuel pump.

Sometimes turning ignition on and off several times helps, sometimes i have to tap with jumper wire from bat to ecm fuse to get power back. Usually problem stays away week or so, sometimes it comes back when sitting overnight.

I have changed ignition switch, inspected firewall connector and grounds, now i have no idea where to look next

Last edited:

biggiecamp

Reaction score
Pretty sure I’ve come across it here before, but not having luck finding again. Looking for pinout on 8-pin connector for RPO DD0 side mirrors

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
How are the dome light switches wired on the 95-98s? Is below correct?
There are 3 wires, white black&purple..
White= +
black= -
purple? I assume I can leave it unwired?
This is for a '88 C3500 that I am trying to wire with a speedway wiring harness.. I keeping getting a short and blowing fuses, I believe the problem occurs in the dome light switch..

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the diagrams for a 98, maybe it will help. It shows the purple as voltage for door jamb switches instead of white that you mentioned.

You must be registered for see images attach

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks! It seems like the purple is associated with the "dome light defeat" circuit. I wired directly to the switch this morning; a ground to the black and power to the white and it blew the in line fuse I was using..Perhaps put the power to the purple and see what happens. I wanted to put a test light on it and see if it goes on and off when the switch "stalk" is depressed.

Reaction score
This seems like a stupid electrical question to me, but how difficult would it be to wire in a factory style tachometer in my Cheyenne?