The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Big3 question. Been lookin thru old posts and came up with 2 different answers. Im gonna build it myself but do i run it WITH the original battery cables or use it to replace the oem pieces? Or is either way work ok?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big3 question. Been lookin thru old posts and came up with 2 different answers. Im gonna build it myself but do i run it WITH the original battery cables or use it to replace the oem pieces? Or is either way work ok?

Technically leaving the factory ones on shouldn't hurt anything... But I would remove them for cosmetic reasons and so you're not disconnecting a ton of stuff every time you need to mess with the battery.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Technically leaving the factory ones on shouldn't hurt anything... But I would remove them for cosmetic reasons and so you're not disconnecting a ton of stuff every time you need to mess with the battery.

Thats kinda what i was thinkin. Thanks.

T-Yaz

Reaction score
1994 Chevrolet C1500 RCSB

When I flip on the cargo light switch, cargo lights don’t come on, only the dome lights. But when the door is opened, dome lights don’t come on at all. Haven’t touched the third brake light other than to replace blown bulbs. Perhaps I have short somewhere in between? If I recall when the cargo lights worked, the dome light would come on with them. But I think the domb light quit coming on when the door is opened around the time I first got the truck (September 2016). Any help is appreciated.

drag sgt

Reaction score
I've driven by plenty of other gmt400 trucks that have no headlights on and only the amber lights along the bottom are turned on. My headlights stay on in all three switch positions. Is there are way to make it so my default switch position only has the amber lights turned on that doesn't involve engaging the parking brake one click?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've driven by plenty of other gmt400 trucks that have no headlights on and only the amber lights along the bottom are turned on. My headlights stay on in all three switch positions. Is there are way to make it so my default switch position only has the amber lights turned on that doesn't involve engaging the parking brake one click?

I’ll guess that your headlight switch is bad, the first position should turn on the parking lights and turn off the DRLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drag sgt

Reaction score
I’ll guess that your headlight switch is bad, the first position should turn on the parking lights and turn off the DRLs.

I went out and bought a replacement switch since it's an easy fix, but the headlights still have the same cycle when the truck is on. For clarification when the truck is off, the lights cycle like you describe (off, parking, DRL/parking) but when I turn on the ignition, the DRL stay on (DRL only, DRL/parking, DRL/parking).

Is there another part I should check aside from the switch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Both of my '97s leave the DRLs running when the parking lights are turned on, maybe it's a year specific thing?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went out and bought a replacement switch since it's an easy fix, but the headlights still have the same cycle when the truck is on. For clarification when the truck is off, the lights cycle like you describe (off, parking, DRL/parking) but when I turn on the ignition, the DRL stay on (DRL only, DRL/parking, DRL/parking).

Is there another part I should check aside from the switch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I just replied to east302 with this same thing but I figured I'd quote you so you saw it. I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is normal. Both of my '97s leave the DRLs running when you turn on the parking lights. If you want to disable them completely you can pull the DRL fuse in the dash panel.

drag sgt

Reaction score
I just replied to east302 with this same thing but I figured I'd quote you so you saw it. I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is normal. Both of my '97s leave the DRLs running when you turn on the parking lights. If you want to disable them completely you can pull the DRL fuse in the dash panel.

This worked! Now the lights cycle in the same manner whether the ignition is on or not.