The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know of any vehicles that have a relay like this, that i can get them at junkyard

You must be registered for see images attach

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I saw another post on Ebay, this person claims to have a 'genuine' one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Te...h=item4b59fe526c:g:oSEAAOSwGotWq7Up:rk:1:pf:0

Edit: Perhaps if one of us contacts the manufacturer "CAN/CANdi", they'll tell us how to distinguish a clone from a genuine one. I guess as long as it runs the GM software it's not so important.

That one is a clone. They show two different pictures of the unit.
Tech II clone is sort of a relative term. Original units were licensed/contracted out for build and sale. Their quality is better in the solder joints, voltage regulator, and a few other areas.

The "clones" are the same design, even the same circuit board design, but they have lessened the cost in a few minor areas. Most notable is they use a hobby grade DC-DC voltage regulator. This is the device that convert the 12v DC input down to the 5V or so to operate the unit....where the wall wart or DC power is plugged in. The clone regulator can work down to around 9V input, so if the battery voltage is low and starting the vehicle drops the voltage below the clone unit may reboot as it loses its 5v. The originals don't have this problem. However, there isn't a whole lot of cases where the vehicle needs a restart when using the tool. If the hobby regulator ever fails, there is a solder in replacement available.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah there was a lot of talk about the Chinese knock-off of the Tech II. I'm tempted at that price. I'd be curious how up to date the programing is.

KnuckleDragger, I just noticed that under 'Notices' it says that that model scan-tool doesn't support General Motors trucks, that it only supports the GM cars.
Guess I'm gonna continue searching.

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have a police tahoe with an extra switch on the headlight switch for "Parade Mode" saw it in the diagram pretty sure its not the dome over ride cause thats referred too as so in the diagram elsewhere.

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
KnuckleDragger, I just noticed that under 'Notices' it says that that model scan-tool doesn't support General Motors trucks, that it only supports the GM cars.
Guess I'm gonna continue searching.

I saw that. It would be odd because the one we have at work has all the trucks and cars on the same card. I was thinking maybe it meant the heavy duty stuff. You would want to know for sure so brush up on the Chinese and give them a call :)

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That one is a clone. They show two different pictures of the unit.
Tech II clone is sort of a relative term. Original units were licensed/contracted out for build and sale. Their quality is better in the solder joints, voltage regulator, and a few other areas.

The "clones" are the same design, even the same circuit board design, but they have lessened the cost in a few minor areas. Most notable is they use a hobby grade DC-DC voltage regulator. This is the device that convert the 12v DC input down to the 5V or so to operate the unit....where the wall wart or DC power is plugged in. The clone regulator can work down to around 9V input, so if the battery voltage is low and starting the vehicle drops the voltage below the clone unit may reboot as it loses its 5v. The originals don't have this problem. However, there isn't a whole lot of cases where the vehicle needs a restart when using the tool. If the hobby regulator ever fails, there is a solder in replacement available.

Thank you for the information, I'll definitely look into replacing voltage regulator with a higher-grade one, if I end up buying a 3rd party Tech II.
I was just reading on Wikipedia about how fragmented the ALDL system is and supposedly it cannot be considered OBDI, is this something I have to worry about?

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
My understanding was that a tech2 would work with "GM" OBD1 vehicle down to 1991. Some searching would probably tell us for sure.
Also I believe when it says not for trucks it means trucks beyond the medium duty.
The biggest advantage i have found with the tech2 is the snapshot plotting capability for working with intermittent problems. And that the data lists are exactly consistent with the data lists in the service manuals so it's easy to use. The service manuals basically have step by step diagnosis for most things and tell you what manipulate the tech2 to check it.