The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now for the stock on-board computer system, I have no idea where to look for a scan-tool. If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be amazing.
*Digital Fuel Injection

P.s. is the 4l80e also hooked up to a computer? Is this the computer behind the glove box?

I remember there was a post earlier where someone was talking about scanners for OBD1, but am not sure what was available for a 93.

Maybe @Schurkey knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna try and find that post.
Thank you

Edit:
I found the post, somebody suggested an mt2500 OBD2 scanner.
Would an OBD2 scanner also work on an older GMT400?

Last edited:

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
They swapped to OBDII after 95

A lot of OBDII scan tools will also do OBDI but i'm not sure exactly what data you can get from it.
The scan tool will say if it is compatible with one or not

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Eveready said, OBD1 systems & readers were not standardized. So I guess I'm going to have a hard time figuring out precisely what diagnostic system/ scan-tool I'm going to need. I'll upload the specifications of the On Board computer after the weekend.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 is an OBD1. Had to buy a fancier reader that comes with the plugs. The plug is under the steering wheel in my truck.

You can however buy a very cheap GM vehicle OBD1 scanner at almost any auto parts store. It will blink in specific patterns, which will indicate a code. You can also do this with a paper clip for free. Just google it.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I'm Europe so I will have a look online. The truck isn't parked at my house at the moment, I'm going to pick it back up on Monday however and I will have a look. There was a computer installed behind/in the glove compartment. I don't know if it's the factory on board system though. I'll also have a look under the steering wheel however. Where would I find the explanation/meaning of the specific pattern?

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the paperclip trick to no avail. I'm going see if I'm even getting a current on the ALDL connector first thing tomorrow.
Edit:
I also checked the fusebox, I heard the OBD is often wired to the fuse for the cigar-lighter, is this true?
All fuses seem to be in order, there is however no fuse nor contacts behind the 'TRANS' socket.
Does this mean I have a 4L80 and not a 4L80E, is this possible for a 93 3500?

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
They swapped to OBDII after 95

A lot of OBDII scan tools will also do OBDI but i'm not sure exactly what data you can get from it.
The scan tool will say if it is compatible with one or not

Different data port, the generics won't plug in. I haven't seen anything new that does OBD I in a long while.