The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really stupid question, when you get in your truck, shut the door, then place the key in the ignition and start it, does it make a continuous chime noise for about 5 seconds? I recently noticed my 94 doing it and it struck me as odd, but then I couldn't remember if it had always done it and i'm just confusing my two trucks.

Viru

Reaction score
This is the definition of simple: is there a way to flash the high beams in a 94 C1500?

(I think) I've fully explored the dash and signal stalk but have only been able to switch between low and high beam, but not flash the highs if the lights are off.

Viru

Reaction score
Really stupid question, when you get in your truck, shut the door, then place the key in the ignition and start it, does it make a continuous chime noise for about 5 seconds? I recently noticed my 94 doing it and it struck me as odd, but then I couldn't remember if it had always done it and i'm just confusing my two trucks.

I believe this chime sounds when you don't have your seatbelt buckled, as a reminder! Try starting with your belt fastened, and it shouldn't chime.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
This is the definition of simple: is there a way to flash the high beams in a 94 C1500?

(I think) I've fully explored the dash and signal stalk but have only been able to switch between low and high beam, but not flash the highs if the lights are off.

On my ‘96, the headlights have to be on in order for you to be able to flash the high beams. I should also mention that the truck needs to be in the ON position (or running) in order to flash the high beams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
question about the headlight switch in '96 C1500. Is the lamp inside the switch supposed to be on any time the key is on, or only when the headlight switched on? mine is on all the time with the key on.

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my ‘96, the headlights have to be on in order for you to be able to flash the high beams. I should also mention that the truck needs to be in the ON position (or running) in order to flash the high beams.

Interesting. My 2000 C2500 GMT400 will flash the lamps any time I pull back on the stalk. Never tried it with the key out engine off but it definitely will flash the lamps when she's running regardless of the headlamp switch position. She has auto headlamps even tho she's a low option WT rig so that may make a difference.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Interesting. My 2000 C2500 GMT400 will flash the lamps any time I pull back on the stalk. Never tried it with the key out engine off but it definitely will flash the lamps when she's running regardless of the headlamp switch position. She has auto headlamps even tho she's a low option WT rig so that may make a difference.

Hmm, I’d have to double check that on my truck. But when the engine is off and key is out the high beams will not turn on. They had an auto headlight feature??? [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 93 Silverado 3500. I was wondering where the onboard computer is? Can I get a diagnostic tool for my truck anywhere?
Thanks in advance

Edit:
I'm in Europe and these kind of trucks aren't common around here.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely behind the glove box. I don't think readers were standardized until later than 93. There are others who will chime in on that I am sure.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely behind the glove box. I don't think readers were standardized until later than 93. There are others who will chime in on that I am sure.
Thanks for your input, I now remember having seen it.
If you don't mind I'm gonna let you in on the full story..
The truck has been worked on quite a bit. It's got a generation V 502 ram jet in there. So it has a DFI* comp somewhere in the engine bay aswell. I'm trying to get both a diagnostic/scan tool for the factory on-board computer and I'm considering replacing or reprogramming the DFI. I've found a company called ODB Diagnostics (http://mefiburn.com/ramjettuning.asp)
that seem to offer computers & software for these engines but their site seems a little dated.
Now for the stock on-board computer system, I have no idea where to look for a scan-tool. If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be amazing.
*Digital Fuel Injection

P.s. is the 4l80e also hooked up to a computer? Is this the computer behind the glove box?