The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok I have a 89 Chevy K1500 that has a weird electrical issue. When I start the vehicle in the morning I turn the headlights on with the switch and they come on instantly but the tail lights and dash lights sometimes take a couple minutes to come on. I have noticed that the colder it is the longer it takes for the dash/tail lights to come on. The headlight switch has been replaced but I haven't noticed this issue until the winter when a cop pulled me over with no taillights. I can some times turn the light dimmer wheel up and down on the headlight switch to get them to turn on faster but it's never when I turn the headlights on.

Sure sounds like a headlight switch issue to me. I'd check and make sure the wiring isn't melted or burnt behind the switch, too.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently replaced the stereo in my 94 k1500 suburban with an aftermarket one and blew out one of the stock speakers shortly thereafter. Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot for event thinking the stock 25 year old ones would hold up. I am looking to replace all of the speakers with some aftermarket speakers and have one simple question. Is there enough slack in the factory wire harness to cut the factory speaker connectors and crimp spade connectors on or should I quit being cheap and order the adapters?

Side note: Anyone want a free factory radio from a 94 suburban? AFAIK there is nothing wrong with it, I just wanted something with an aux in. I can ship it to you!

Last edited:

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently replaced the stereo in my 94 k1500 suburban with an aftermarket one and blew out one of the stock speakers shortly thereafter. Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot for event thinking the stock 25 year old ones would hold up. I am looking to replace all of the speakers with some aftermarket speakers and have one simple question. Is there enough slack in the factory wire harness to cut the factory speaker connectors and crimp spade connectors on or should I quit being cheap and order the adapters?

Side note: Anyone want a factory radio from a 94 suburban? AFAIK there is nothing wrong with it, I just wanted something with an aux in. I can ship it to you!

I believe there is enough slack, but the adapters were pretty cheap (buy online) so I did that. I hate cutting up factory harnesses if I don’t have to.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe there is enough slack, but the adapters were pretty cheap (buy online) so I did that. I hate cutting up factory harnesses if I don’t have to.

Thanks for the input! I have spade connectors already and am cheap, so I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll let you know if I regret it. :)

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s fine, let’s be honest nobody is going to be pissed that they cant plug in their factory speakers again lol. The spades fit pretty much every other aftermarket speaker.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
I'm wanting to put LED dash lights in so I can see the gauges at night... I want white and super bright... most of mine if not all are 194 existing in dash... so I go to look on Amazon and WOW! so many of them, so I want to know if anyone has bought any they were happy with and what they bought... I need non canbus leds... also how many do I need because I forgot to count (89 C1500)... thanks in advance...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using 300 Baud Modem.

Devin Foxwell

Reaction score
I have a 98 K1500 that ive put subs in, upgraded the alternator and wiring, and installed led light bars. Im having an issue where my truck randomly loses power just long enough to stall then regain power and fire up again all while cruising down the road. Sometimes it stalls and wont start back up again. what could cause this? Ive checked my amp, alternator, and light grounds and all are tight and clean. I have also pulled the radio out and checked the butt connectors that connect the factory harness adapter to the radio harness, all tight. Im worried this is hurting my trans because its rolling in gear without input and its starting while in gear, ive noticed it is slipping a bit after this has happened a few times. Any ideas? Its worth adding that occasionally the interior lights flash really quick ones as this happens.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
I'm wanting to put LED dash lights in so I can see the gauges at night... I want white and super bright... most of mine if not all are 194 existing in dash... so I go to look on Amazon and WOW! so many of them, so I want to know if anyone has bought any they were happy with and what they bought... I need non canbus leds... also how many do I need because I forgot to count (89 C1500)... thanks in advance...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using 300 Baud Modem.

Anyone?... Anyone?...Bueller'

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 K1500 that ive put subs in, upgraded the alternator and wiring, and installed led light bars. Im having an issue where my truck randomly loses power just long enough to stall then regain power and fire up again all while cruising down the road. Sometimes it stalls and wont start back up again. what could cause this? Ive checked my amp, alternator, and light grounds and all are tight and clean. I have also pulled the radio out and checked the butt connectors that connect the factory harness adapter to the radio harness, all tight. Im worried this is hurting my trans because its rolling in gear without input and its starting while in gear, ive noticed it is slipping a bit after this has happened a few times. Any ideas? Its worth adding that occasionally the interior lights flash really quick ones as this happens.

Start with double checking your battery connections on both ends... at the battery AND at the starter. It sounds like there might be a charging issue, which could be a fading alternator or a bad connection. From there I would make sure the battery itself is good. It kind of sounds like the battery might be on the ragged edge.. If it is a loose connection that would tend to prevent full charging. Clean all connections and maybe trickle charge the battery overnight and see if that doesn't change it's behavior.

If the battery itself is bad or borderline, the behavior will return.