The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.

Reaction score
10 bolt = 8.5in ring gear
14 bolt semi floater (sf) = 9.5in ring gear
14 bolt full floater (ff) = 10.5in ring gear

task

Reaction score
Glove Box codes..

GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

HC4 -- AXLE REAR, 4.56 RATIO

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok here are my stupid questions is there anyway to find out the gear ratio for my rear axle with out opening it up? It is a 3/4 ton axle put under a half ton. Also question number two why does it only have 6 lugs, it is a 14bolt axle?

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh also what does this full float and semi float mean when talking about rear axles? Whats the easiest way to find out the front gear ration on a 94 k1500? I want to know if it matches the rear ratio since the rear end is not the stock rear.

89rcsb

Reaction score
Ok here are my stupid questions is there anyway to find out the gear ratio for my rear axle with out opening it up? It is a 3/4 ton axle put under a half ton. Also question number two why does it only have 6 lugs, it is a 14bolt axle?

14 bolts on the housing cover.

You have to pull it apart and spin the ring gear around, it'll have the gear ratio on it.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Full floating means that if you break an axle shaft the wheel won't fall off because the hub assembly is mounted to the axle and the shaft.

Semi floating axles use C clips to hold in axle shafts and if you break one of those shafts the axle stub falls out of the housing.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok this is kinda stupid so here goes. I am plannin on running 33-35 tires so I am regearing but I am going with 4.88s and a locker in the rear. Now the dumb part, The guy recommends that I run and electric locker since the truck is a daily driver. Is there a real advantage to an electric over a mechanical locker? I figure the electric is gonna cost me alot more than a mechanical. Also he quoted 1500-1700 for just the gears and installing them. Is that a decent price to pay for the gears and service? oh and the rear is a 14 bolt SF if that makes a difference