The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StepSide88

Reaction score
I have 10 bolt rear axle with a seized up oil fill plug. The dang thing will not budge. Before I swap axles from my parts truck, any suggestions on how to get the plug out?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have 10 bolt rear axle with a seized up oil fill plug. The dang thing will not budge. Before I swap axles from my parts truck, any suggestions on how to get the plug out?
I've got them started moving by 'turning' them with a chisel.

As far as regular tools though be sure you're using a real square socket, not just an extension. The square socket fits way tighter letting you put more force into it.

Richard

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering having a shop do front and rear regear for me, time these days is just in short supply for me. I was quoted 650-675 per axle for the service, thats with parts provided and tear down complete already. Anyone have any comparisons on price

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you disassemble and remove old parts and tow vehicle to shop?
Im preparing the replacements before i have anything removed from vehicle, 10 bolt getting junked for 14 and i bought a used front diff to rebuild. Tahoe is not a primary vehicle for me at the moment

Disassembly is certainly quicker and requires less knowledge to do. as much as i want the learning experience of doing it myself, a little more peace of mind would be had having it professionally done

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering having a shop do front and rear regear for me, time these days is just in short supply for me. I was quoted 650-675 per axle for the service, thats with parts provided and tear down complete already. Anyone have any comparisons on price
That's a great price. I paid $1,400 for just labor and bearings for 1 axle.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for anyone with a factory Reg. Cab Long Bed with either F44 or the Light Duty 2500. I’m looking for emergency brake cable part numbers. I plan on doing a swap at some point.

Or if anyone has swapped in a 14 bolt on a RCLB, which cable or cable’s needed to be swapped with what part numbers. TIA

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for anyone with a factory Reg. Cab Long Bed with either F44 or the Light Duty 2500. I’m looking for emergency brake cable part numbers. I plan on doing a swap at some point.

Or if anyone has swapped in a 14 bolt on a RCLB, which cable or cable’s needed to be swapped with what part numbers. TIA
From what ive read the intermediate cable is the same. And if you get your brake equipment from an SUV, you need the SUV ebrake cable. If gotten from a truck then get the truck cable, rock auto has them all listed by cable length

I just now realizes you werent asking about the brake swap, just the ebrake

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Those who know
Spray item remove item.