The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New to axle issues so any help here is appreciated.

I have a '98 K1500 with the G80 and 3.73 gear ratio. Had a distinct whine from the rear end consistent with a diff bearing issue for a while, tried to limp it home from school and the whole rear end blew up on me about 2 miles from my house. Saw a video on here a while back with the chatter of the gears, same issue im having, making it impossible to drive down the road. I don't have the equipment or experience to do it myself, so before I take it in and have a mechanic charge my left arm and right leg for a diagnostic, what am I looking at here to fix this? New gears? New rear diff? Whole new axle?

If anybody could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Had a look on Summit for parts but not exactly sure what I'm going to need here.

Thanks!

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New to axle issues so any help here is appreciated.

I have a '98 K1500 with the G80 and 3.73 gear ratio. Had a distinct whine from the rear end consistent with a diff bearing issue for a while, tried to limp it home from school and the whole rear end blew up on me about 2 miles from my house. Saw a video on here a while back with the chatter of the gears, same issue im having, making it impossible to drive down the road. I don't have the equipment or experience to do it myself, so before I take it in and have a mechanic charge my left arm and right leg for a diagnostic, what am I looking at here to fix this? New gears? New rear diff? Whole new axle?

If anybody could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Had a look on Summit for parts but not exactly sure what I'm going to need here.

Thanks!
Firstly, take your inspection cover off to see what is wrong with it. Could be spider gears, could've cracked the carrier.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Firstly, take your inspection cover off to see what is wrong with it. Could be spider gears, could've cracked the carrier.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

From what I've been able to find, ring and pinion definitely need to be replaced. Was going to go for an overhaul kit as well to replace bearings etc. If I were to gear up from a 3.73 to a 3.90, is it just the ring/pinion to replace or would I need to do the spider gears too?

90shorty

Reaction score
Know where i can get a passenger side inner front axle... 1990 k1500.

You must be registered for see images attach

turf

Reaction score
Anyone have rebuild specs for the front diff out of a 97 2500 8.8 ifs. want to make sure i get the bearings set right

thanks

Reaction score
From what I've been able to find, ring and pinion definitely need to be replaced. Was going to go for an overhaul kit as well to replace bearings etc. If I were to gear up from a 3.73 to a 3.90, is it just the ring/pinion to replace or would I need to do the spider gears too?
You’d need to swap out the front (you said “K”1500 right?) gears too if you change your gearing.

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Know where i can get a passenger side inner front axle... 1990 k1500.

Open the 88-91 Parts Illustration book to PDF pages 526 & 527. That intermediate stub axle is GM part number 15588366. It's discontinued. Keep your eyes open on evilbay. There are a couple of the LH stubs up right now for that axle.

A buddy TIG welded up splines like that and ground them back to shape using a die grinder and files for an old CAT D7 pony motor disconnect assembly. Not fun or easy but it worked when he was done.

Last edited:

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
want to upgrade my rear axle on my 89 k1500.
would like an axle with disk brakes.
will this fit?
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/d/14-bolt-chevy-gmc-rear-end/6683252960.html

thanks in advance
Idk specifics on what can be swapped on the 89, but pretty sure your not going to find any axle (with disc brakes) that will drop in cause your on 5 lug right?

Your best off getting a retrofit kit and converting axle yourself.

Although, I'm pretty certain that any vehicle with factory 4 wheel disc brakes came with a factory ABS. Idk if it was coincidental to the technology of the time, or what. Make sure what your doing is actually safe(r) !

I will mention this, up until 2000 all Chevy trucks (of all series) came with rear drums because that WAS the technology of the time. GMT800 series got rear discs and everyone perceived this change in design as an improvement.
They switched back to rear drums before end of GMT800 era... I have my assumptions at to why but OE's don't make major changes like that to any platform mid generation without major reasoning...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

dougg01

Reaction score
Axle spline count question.

I am getting conflicting information and have not found a definitive answer. Planning on putting a new, better rear diff in my '99 Tahoe Z71. Some sources say 28 spline and some say 30 spline. I've gone through several vendors' sites and have found both to be true. I am trying to avoid pulling an axle just to check before ordering the diff and installation kit. I've never had trouble with other vehicles I've done this for, but my research hasn't given me a conclusive answer.

So...which is it...? The truck was built early in '99 in Mexico. Push-button 4wd. 3.73s. Tow Pkg. There are some codes on the housing, but nothing I have found that translates to determining spline count. Maybe I'm looking at the data wrong...