The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
Ok here goes the stupid question for me. Ran into a guy running a dually dodge, claimed he'd getting 38 mpg. So I asked how. He said he's running a splitter on the axle to reduce the engine rpm's. I would assume he meant on the transfer case but I may be wrong. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

he is referring to a variable speed differential, where you can actually switch gear ratios with the flip of a switch... i still highly doubt his mileage claim, something close to 30 would be believable though. old chevy 6.2 diesels could get 28mpg with a 700r4 trans

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
id belive thirty also. i had a 90 dodge dually with the cummins and had the fuel flowing through it like crazy with no overdirve and i got around 25 on the free way loaded down. its a very rough estimate but its pretty acurate. if he had OD and a splitter i bet it was pretty close.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know that i have the 3.42's in it, unless the axle has been changed out.. the RPO codes shows GU6 which is 3.42

do the axle count i mentioned. like i said its not 100% accurate but you can pretty much round what you get to the nearest nominal ratio that came with the truck. like if you figure it to be a 3.75 its most likley to be a 3.73.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
although i didnt see his truck and i have never heard of a splitter he was prob full of **** lol

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
well.. there are the twin stick transmissions... they are fun to drive... 10 shifts to get to final gear lol.. basically every gear has a high and low..

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have seen the 10 speeds and i think a 15 swapped into a dodge truck before. but the diff split is new to me. tcase split i havnt heard much about besides like an atlas. but twin tcases i have heard of. i guess theres alot of ways to get that extra final drive but i still dont belive 38 mpg. not from some hillbilly atleast.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
yeah... anything under load with that heavy truck cannot get 40mpg's... hell... some civics have trouble getting 35mpg and look at how light they are compared to the power they have