The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can count gear without pulling apart axles! mark your yoke so you can see it from the pass side wheel. now mark your wheel without moving anything with the wheels off the ground. i like to mark the top on the sidewall. spin the wheel 3 times and count how many times your yoke spins and stop the wheel back at the top where you started. this isnt 100% accurate. but it will get you super close so you can pretty much figure out your ratio. for example a 373 gear. you spin the wheel 3 times and your yoke spins 3 and 3/4 turns....

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that should be everything for the rear as long as its the right spline and all your info is right.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
i know that i have the 3.42's in it, unless the axle has been changed out.. the RPO codes shows GU6 which is 3.42

Reaction score
Ok here goes the stupid question for me. Ran into a guy running a dually dodge, claimed he'd getting 38 mpg. So I asked how. He said he's running a splitter on the axle to reduce the engine rpm's. I would assume he meant on the transfer case but I may be wrong. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Reaction score
even if your motor ran barely over idle under load there is no way it could reach 38 mpg :imo:

That's what I was thinking. Guy was a dumbass know it all hillbilly. I was doing everything I could to get away from him at the gas station but it made me wonder so I had to ask.