the stepside: a drivabeater thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaCoupe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impressive :) One day I will get my truck to this status!!!

Keep up the great work!

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you all. It is coming out far better than I had ever planned to make it. When I pick this truck up I plan to use it for a little while while I found the truck I was willing to spend 10 grand on. I'm not going to have anything anywhere near that in this truck, primarily because the rest of the insurance money for the El Camino when two other things my family needed more. Matter of fact I'm almost out of money and this truck is almost done so I guess God blessed me enough to have enough money to see it through to the end. I'll be saving my pennies for an LS swap down the road though. I think a 5.3 or a 4.8 would be perfect in this truck for my uses.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
LS swap would be killer in this truck! And no problem, it's nice to see people restore these beauties!

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so the entire interior minus dash is out now.....

ill do a full, legitimate update soon. but sound deadening, insulation, headliner replacement, etc is all being done. hopefully by Saturday.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great thread. Amazing what you can do with a small budget, but a huge work ethic.

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something about this build seems familiar :D

Going through many of the same things with my '90 stepside (re)build.

What brand tonneau did you go with?

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something about this build seems familiar :D

Going through many of the same things with my '90 stepside (re)build.

What brand tonneau did you go with?
It was the cheapest one on ebay. Theres no tags or anything on it.

I need to build new hold downs. Its still a bit floppy....

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
long time since a legitimate update. Life's been busy, and I have been hard at building a challenge car with my dad. Its coming down the home stretch. Its almost ready for the shakedown runs, and should be absolutely NUTS. Even off the bottle.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/may-be-little-ridiculous-2018-challenge-oddessey/134260/page1/

But this is about the truck.

Last week I went to pick something up off the passengers side floor and noticed it was wet. Turned out that the carpet was SOAKED. And the jute underlayment. So, since half measures availed us nothing, it was time to do something about it. Oh, and its back to being my daily. And I HAD to have it on the road for Saturday morning....

Monday I went to work.

You must be registered for see images attach
20181203_120556 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20181203_140910 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

stripped EVERYTHING but the dash. The floors are absolutely spotless. I love southern trucks.

The carpet was really, really bad. Stained, faded, smelly. The jute had started growing mold. Headliner was junk, and the plastics were 50 shades of gray. All were known about except the mold. So, no time like the present!

20181203_131621 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

took everything but the headliner outside, fired up the castrol superclean, stiff brush, and garden hose. You should've seen the stuff coming out of the carpets. It was NASTY.

After:

20181204_092952 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

while that stuff was drying, I did my sound deadening. Again, using the mcmaster carr mastic with about 80% coverage. Then foil backed jute, and the foil bubble wrap from lowes.

20181204_075506 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20181204_082138 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20181209_112721 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

I tossed the seat and seatbelt back in the drivers side. I also went ahead and finally wired some trailer lights.

20181205_072930 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20181206_163519 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr