The Shock Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photo-tom

Reaction score
I've got a 5/6 drop on my 94. I just installed Bilsteins and am pretty happy with them. I've learned to run only Bilstein over the years. Not as stiff as my 86 golf on coils, but it handles well enough for a daily.

Since Bilstein doesn't specifically make a "drop shock", I did some digging and another person provided these part numbers:

Bilstein B6 4600 Heavy Duty Shock Absorber Dodge Dakota, Durango Front 24-064606

Bilstein B6 4600 Heavy Duty Shock Absorber Jeep Cherokee Rear 24-010467

They bolted right up, no issues.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the deal with coilovers? I thought I read you can't just bolt them in without beefing up the shock mount. But now that I'm on the fence with ordering a set I can't find any info about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the deal with coilovers? I thought I read you can't just bolt them in without beefing up the shock mount. But now that I'm on the fence with ordering a set I can't find any info about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you are correct. The shock mounts were never meant to support the weight of the truck. You will have to dig through some build threads to find methods. As far as i know there is not a prefabbed kit, most i have seen done were custom. Plenty of guys have done it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes you are correct. The shock mounts were never meant to support the weight of the truck. You will have to dig through some build threads to find methods. As far as i know there is not a prefabbed kit, most i have seen done were custom. Plenty of guys have done it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
it sucks because i found the qa1 kit thats supposed to be a bolt in kit.. and have found people running it. But I cant imagine the lower a arm would support the weight of the truck on just the 2 bolts for the bottom of the shock.... now if there were a solid ring that bolted in with it, it would dissipate the weight around the cup as it would with the spring. Ive found custom setups in build threads, but the qa1 kit actually uses the perch on the upper arm which is good, I was worried about the lower though... qa1 does say its a bolt in though and that itll work. Ive only found 1 guy thats run it and he fell off the face of the earth years ago and I cant follow up to see if the truck ever failed at the lower mount

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WTF! I just went to install the nitro drop shocks from bell tech and the protective cap won't fit through the lower control arm hole?!
I'm going to go buy a flex sleeve from napa but fit the money I paid this should not be an issue.

Sent from a place that rains a lot

photo-tom

Reaction score
If you're talking about the top bushings, just unscrew the top nut and take them off, slide the shock up through the button of the arm, and place the bushing back on.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're talking about the top bushings, just unscrew the top nut and take them off, slide the shock up through the button of the arm, and place the bushing back on.
i see a lot of people really liking the nitro shocks... i've started regretting my decision i made to buy the toxic shocks

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

No I'm not talking about the top bushing, I'm new but not that new [emoji16]. I'm talking about the protective cap seen in the picture. It's all good though I went down to napa and replaced it with a protective flex boot instead. I needed a moment to vent. [emoji1591]

photo-tom

Reaction score
Aaah, I see. I didn't immediately think of that because I just replaced my street performance shocks with bilsteins, and they came off just fine in the front. Wonder if they changed diameter of the sleeve...

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure I was just super pissed because they weren't exactly cheap, but functionality wins over looks. Definitely wanted to be able to change them out if needed to