The Shock Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Perhaps contact QA1 about their double adjustable shocks. Expensive for sure but you can fine tune them with 18 clicks of adjustment for compression and 18 for extension separately. 800-721-7761

Sideburnz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed DJM flip kit [FK1029-2D] in the rear of my 1999 2Dr Tahoe with the supplied shock extenders. I'm getting ready to purchase new shocks and I really want to go with Bilstein shocks. I’ve read though the entire thread and I’m still unsure of the part number to go with?

The DJM website list two differ shock sizes so I’m wondering about fabricating a 1” longer shock extender for the driver’s side?

Thanks to anybody that can help!

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Monroe shocks. Currently at 2/4/ Factory shocks from 1997
There was a thread I found that I cant' find again it was on a different site.

For a 2/4 drop they were recomending these monroe shocks they fit different vehicles but will fit a c1500 especially for drop.

Front
37027 or 32197

rear 37137 or 32318

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has a 4/6 drop DJM kit with all 4 new front control arms as part of the suspension kit. The kit also came with shock extender hardware that was bolted to the shock attach points on the drive axle. I used Suburban rear shocks by ACDelco P/N 504-550 and put a separate air supply line to each of them to reduce sway in turns. Also used a Suburban rear anti-sway bar. It's no Ferrari, but it does carve pretty nice.

rcktpwrd

Reaction score
Working on a '90 454SS. Has a 4/6 drop, might be closer to 7 in the rear, still has the original rear springs with 200K+ miles on them. Rear has lower shock extenders. Just added the rear upper relocators. Have a set of Bilstein 24021715 shocks in there. They seemed to long when first installed with just the lower extenders, but worked okish. Now with the upper relocators in they seem to be almost fully compressed. The working angle looks perfect now. The truck isn't fully reassembled yet and back on the ground so I'm not exactly sure how much they are compressed, but definitely not a lot of space in there.
Have the Bilstein AK2083 shocks in front and they are great!
Is there a different Bilstein shock available that would fit better in the rear?

rcktpwrd

Reaction score
The passenger side shock should be fine, looks to be about 4" of space at ride height.

My thumb is at the base of the shock body:
You must be registered for see images attach

The drivers side shock has less than half an inch of space before bottoming out. So I need to find a shorter shock for the drivers side. Any ideas?
My thumb is at the base of the body:

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any recommendations for shocks for the front and rear of a bagged 99 c3500 crew cab?

I have slam specialties re8 bags with nfamous metal tubular control arms for the front.

The rear I have re8 bags with a cantilever setup, wishbone and lower link bars. Not sure the most efficient place to even mount shicks back there.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted a few years ago that I used Rancho 5 -way adjustable shocks front and rear on my 1988 RCSB.
Since that post I managed to wear out the front shocks. I installed cut suburban big block springs, and the front shocks just couldn’t control the rebound anymore.
I stepped up and bought Viking 19 way double adjustable shocks and I couldn’t be happier. They are expensive, but they are worth every penny! Like the Rancho shocks I had to clearance the hole in the factory lower control arm to get the knobs to pass through when installing the shock. I’m dropped about 5/7, and I used the Viking B204 socks up front.

Now on my 1994 4wd 2-door Tahoe, I did a rear axle flip and used lowering keys up front. I tried using KYB excel g 343130 shocks but they were just too soft for me. I then bought air shocks to stiffen up the rear, but anything over ~35psi gave me lift that I didn’t want. Plus they rode worse to me- soft and bouncy. Again I stepped up to Vikings. Their C207w coil overs is what I bought, with 125lb springs. I’m still running factory leafs, the coils are set fairly loose more like a helper. With the 19 compression settings and 19 rebound settings it rides SO much better. I’m at 5 compression and 7 rebound.
I do prefer higher rebound settings on my vehicles. I hate bounciness. One of my daily’s is a C6 Corvette and I honestly prefer that all my cars ride like a Corvette.

Attachments

• IMG_5969.png
    IMG_5969.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5919.jpeg
    IMG_5919.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 7

GONE_FLAT

Reaction score
Has any one run a set of coilovers on there dually ???I know alden makes a set for fronts and back and i believe qa1 does as well .

Hows she ride