The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well well well, look what I found today.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also got a Pitman arm seal kit for the steering gearbox. This should be enough to get it driving to some extent and then see what else is wrong with it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got the Camaro back together and ready for the first race in a few weeks. Today I took it back out to the hangar where it will sit until then. I grabbed the lug nut socket out of the dually, it's a 6 point spline drive. No dice, too small, and this truck has a 7 point. The parts stores don't have it, so I ordered one off of Amazon. Supposed to get here tomorrow, we'll see. I'm thinking I may try and schmooze the tire shop right up the road into letting me borrow a socket. Last time I took the dually to them for a tire rotation I didn't mention where I'd buried the sockets for it and the tires still got rotated no problem, so I'm thinking they have a set of those puppies kicking around. Fingers crossed, if they do I'm going after the knuckle and steering box tomorrow. I want to drive this thing and see whether or not I got a turd.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a dealership technician, we often got used cars from auction that had obviously been repos. The wheel key would be missing and it would be up to me to get the wheel off. I had a cheap 12 point socket that I'd hammer down onto the locking lug, and it never failed to get them off. Now there's about a dozen different designs, so if I had to do it now I'd probably just weld a nut on the end.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about sacrificing a socket to the cause, but I'd prefer to reuse these functional lug nuts if at all possible. It's not completely off the table yet. The 7 point socket showed up today, looks to be the exact same OD as the 6 point that was too small, so I may end up trying to bribe a tech at the local tire shop if the thing doesn't fit.

Today I yanked the carpet and quickly realized that the excessive windshield goop did not fix the leak whatever PO layed it on was trying to solve.

Passenger side has some too, but nowhere near this. This is pretty bad, lots of scaling here. Rust, the thing I hate the most. I'll bring out the angle grinder and everything I have for it to try and clean this mess up. The bottom of this floorpan? The same white that the General delivered it with. The ONLY way to know this was here was to have pulled this disgusting ass carpet for cleaning. I scraped some off and knocked on it and it didn't seem paper thin. I think the short term is to just make it drive with a seat bolted to a naked floor while I figure out what products I should be using to kill and seal the rust. There was no shortage of filth under the plastic door sill plate dealies or anywhere in general. There were a couple cross threaded and lightly corroded fasteners that initially made me nervous but they all came out. I'll chase those 2 problem holes, lube the bolts for reinstall, and it should go together easy peasy.

Next up was yanking the steering box that was pissing fluid like crazy out of the Pitman shaft. You can kind of see here how off center the Pitman shaft is as it exits the case.

It was an absolute m'fer pulling the seals and washer from an assembled box that seems to have a shaft in there sideways. I ended up grinding the new washer down to fit in there without having to beat the crap out of it to get it back in there. It turns out whatever POS reman box this is didn't have the seal stack properly installed. The dust seal was installed outside of the snap ring and not retained by it like it should have been. I should note that the Pitman shaft did not show signs of being bent as the box made its rounds through its range of motion so I'm really not sure what to expect tomorrow in terms of whether or not it still leaks, I just hope it doesn't.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Today sucked, was windy AF again and the box fought me tooth and nail. The 3 bolts didn't want to go back into the same holes they came out of and the lines flat out would not thread back in. I know they're always a pain in the ass because you need to align them just right which is all but impossible when the box is buried 6 feet under the hood. This truck has a body lift so it's even worse. I also forgot my jack so couldn't start on the knuckle to accomplish something. I left furious and defeated.