The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As some may have seen in my posts, I've been after an 8 lugger to hang a plow off of for my move back to MI. I have a couple years, so I wanted to take my time and get a good deal. This one came up, it has a salvage title (though I'm not sure why), and is a stolen recovery. Someone swiped it from the owner a week ago and it was recovered after the thing was abandoned at a construction site. They hit something, likely concrete, and broke the knuckle. PO took it to Les Schwab and they said it needed a new diff, steering box, upper and lower arms, CV shafts rebooted, a broken knuckle, and had a bent frame. I see a broken knuckle, a leaky (not destroyed) PS box, the boot popped off the passenger's axle, and an old crack in the frame. That area was going to be reinforced anyway. Here it is all crammed in for the journey home, I backed it in under its own power but it needed a winch assist with the foot of toe out it had.

You must be registered for see images attach

It ended up balancing out nicely and the drive home was uneventful. It then drove down the ramp without assistance. Here's the knuckle.

Just a little tweaked. Here the engine bay.

Not too much fvckery here, but there is some.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
First of which is the "CAI", luckily any old 350 airbox will do as the 454 specific bits are still there.

And next up is a crappily plugged hole, there's evidence the truck used to have a brake controller.

These fenders are gonna have to go. While this truck will see rust down the road, I don't want to start with it already intact!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the worst of the interior.

The rest is pretty good. All the seats need a cleaning, but they should come around nicely.

The carpet I'll give the old college try. Then I'll either live with it or replace it. Dash is in really good shape, but it seems the blower resistor is toast. Here's the current stance.

There used to be vinyl decals and the PO tried removing them on a cold day and the paint came with. As for the paint missing on the bottom, I think some raptor liner is gonna be my Huckleberry there.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is there something jammed in the air intake where the Vortec box normally fits?

Both upper and lower arms??? I wouln't trust anything that shop says. Lower arms have never been wear parts on our trucks. Sounds like they're quoting all the parts in hopes you're a sucker.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is there something jammed in the air intake where the Vortec box normally fits?

Both upper and lower arms??? I wouln't trust anything that shop says. Lower arms have never been wear parts on our trucks. Sounds like they're quoting all the parts in hopes you're a sucker.

Nope, they wanted nothing to do with it. I think they wrote all that up to make him go away. And yeah, there's a red cap of some sort jammed in the intake tube to delete the resonator. I'll put it back to stock as soon as I can find all the bits and pieces. Or come up with a cleaner plug.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...I'll put it back to stock as soon as I can find all the bits and pieces. Or come up with a cleaner plug.

I had a PCV plug in mine for awhile, but it was actually a bit too small. When I decided to remove it, it looked like I may have had a small leak there, but I don't have any data, like fuel trims, to back that up. I put the Vortec box back, and I think I had over tightened that at one point, too.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That will an awesome plow truck!

Any 8 lug than a dually or CCLB makes a good plow truck, this one hits another objective being a people hauler as I have 3 kids. I didn't think I'd find a decent rot free (minus those fenders) CCSB for cheap, so when this day old ad popped up I jumped on it hard. I'd just missed out on a 454 ECLB low mileage truck that was smacked on a front corner but included parts. That one wasn't in running condition this one was, I told myself going up it either was or wasn't meant to be. Based on the pics, the vid, and conversation with the PO I had a good gut feeling. When I got there and found less damage than expected, I was ready to open my wallet but walked away to the tune of $2500. Goal is to be under $3000 for a usable truck. I want to say I'll be well under, but I need to stick a knuckle in there and plug the PS leak to see what else is wrong. That said, until this truck got Duked to death it was a DD work truck. That's been a decent formula in my experience, so stay tuned to find out whether or not I got f00k3d.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a full 454 airbox with the resonator cap I'd be willing to let go if you're interested?

Either way if it's a runner or a basket case you didn't do too bad it seems, aside from the aforementioned damage it looks straight. Looking forward to seeing the progress!