The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Today was less unproductive. I brought an 18x1.5 thread chaser and tap and cleaned up a small burr on the box. The line itself spun perfectly into an O2 bung, so I knew that was good. Noticed the pressure line was against the oil cooler lines, so gave it a tweak, wiggled the line as I spun (laying across the engine with my ass on the passenger side) and it went right down. The return was also a pain, it was difficult to tweak, but I eventually got it too. This truck has that stupid frame loop "cooler" that Schurkey always talks about. I'll get a real cooler for it next time I hit the pull and pay. With the box in I wanted to see if the leak had stopped and it had, but something in the steering skipped on me. I'd been thinking it was the knuckle fatiguing back and forth but this time standing outside the truck I watched the driver side wheel (the good one, I think) fall back to the right as I turned it left. That's definitely something upstream of the center link, either steering box innards are toast or the steering shaft is slipping. Onto the knuckle I went, it came apart fairly easily (save for the axle nut, had to get out the propane torch and 6 foot cheater bar). The lower ball joint never looked right and after removing the upper it quickly became apparent why.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gravity, hopes, and dreams were all that held this thing together. I failed to snag another pic, that piece is also bent. So there went a chunk of daylight, running down a ball joint and enough press adapters to get the new one in. 2 O'Reilly's and an AutoZone later and I was fully armed with a Precision (that will probably only last a few years) ball joint for forged arms. Removal and install was about the smoothest I've ever experienced, that was a shock given how hard the rest of this pig fights me. Next it was time to transfer the hub over to the new knuckle. First I had to make room for the socket, take a close look at that pic and you'll see how the break infringed on the recess for the socket. First I tried beating the crap out of the knuckle to bend it back down, no dice there. I figured with it being broken it would move easier but it had plenty of meat left on it. Instead, I dropped the angle grinder on it, beat the socket down, and zipped the bolts out. The rest pretty much snapped right back together, but I'm not sure I'm done changing out bent stuff just yet.

I'll have to go compare my 1500 to this, but with a body lift I feel like there should be more clearance with 285s. Maybe the rims have a funky offset? But the truck has been trimmed for big rubber, it must have had bigger shoes in the past. More to come I suppose. It still has a couple/few inches toe out, but if alignment bolts slipped that could be a chunk of that too.

Sorry, the lighting sucks on this pic. To add insult to injury, the new seal stack blew out of the box too. I didn't like the way the clip seated but it seemed like it was in there. I guess not. I yanked the box back out, put it on the bench, and removed the sector shaft. I didn't see a lick of damage there or so much as a flake of metal inside the box though it is not fully disassembled just yet. The splined input had a sandblasted appearance and a couple mushed splined, but overall looked OK and nothing shiny that would indicate to me that the steering shaft was slipping on it. I'm on the hunt for a smoking gun and a cheap fix here. Another thing that I noticed is that the truck turns farther right than left. I had to do that little science experiment with the wheels off of the ground. It'll hit the right stops but not the left stops. The box itself had just over 3 full turns lock to lock and the wheel had something like 2.5 lock to lock. I'm hoping something obvious presents itself when I get the box the rest of the way apart. I have some more YouTube research ahead of me it seems.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today was less unproductive. I brought an 18x1.5 thread chaser and tap and cleaned up a small burr on the box. The line itself spun perfectly into an O2 bung, so I knew that was good. Noticed the pressure line was against the oil cooler lines, so gave it a tweak, wiggled the line as I spun (laying across the engine with my ass on the passenger side) and it went right down. The return was also a pain, it was difficult to tweak, but I eventually got it too. This truck has that stupid frame loop "cooler" that Schurkey always talks about. I'll get a real cooler for it next time I hit the pull and pay. With the box in I wanted to see if the leak had stopped and it had, but something in the steering skipped on me. I'd been thinking it was the knuckle fatiguing back and forth but this time standing outside the truck I watched the driver side wheel (the good one, I think) fall back to the right as I turned it left. That's definitely something upstream of the center link, either steering box innards are toast or the steering shaft is slipping. Onto the knuckle I went, it came apart fairly easily (save for the axle nut, had to get out the propane torch and 6 foot cheater bar). The lower ball joint never looked right and after removing the upper it quickly became apparent why.

Gravity, hopes, and dreams were all that held this thing together. I failed to snag another pic, that piece is also bent. So there went a chunk of daylight, running down a ball joint and enough press adapters to get the new one in. 2 O'Reilly's and an AutoZone later and I was fully armed with a Precision (that will probably only last a few years) ball joint for forged arms. Removal and install was about the smoothest I've ever experienced, that was a shock given how hard the rest of this pig fights me. Next it was time to transfer the hub over to the new knuckle. First I had to make room for the socket, take a close look at that pic and you'll see how the break infringed on the recess for the socket. First I tried beating the crap out of the knuckle to bend it back down, no dice there. I figured with it being broken it would move easier but it had plenty of meat left on it. Instead, I dropped the angle grinder on it, beat the socket down, and zipped the bolts out. The rest pretty much snapped right back together, but I'm not sure I'm done changing out bent stuff just yet.

I'll have to go compare my 1500 to this, but with a body lift I feel like there should be more clearance with 285s. Maybe the rims have a funky offset? But the truck has been trimmed for big rubber, it must have had bigger shoes in the past. More to come I suppose. It still has a couple/few inches toe out, but if alignment bolts slipped that could be a chunk of that too.

Sorry, the lighting sucks on this pic. To add insult to injury, the new seal stack blew out of the box too. I didn't like the way the clip seated but it seemed like it was in there. I guess not. I yanked the box back out, put it on the bench, and removed the sector shaft. I didn't see a lick of damage there or so much as a flake of metal inside the box though it is not fully disassembled just yet. The splined input had a sandblasted appearance and a couple mushed splined, but overall looked OK and nothing shiny that would indicate to me that the steering shaft was slipping on it. I'm on the hunt for a smoking gun and a cheap fix here. Another thing that I noticed is that the truck turns farther right than left. I had to do that little science experiment with the wheels off of the ground. It'll hit the right stops but not the left stops. The box itself had just over 3 full turns lock to lock and the wheel had something like 2.5 lock to lock. I'm hoping something obvious presents itself when I get the box the rest of the way apart. I have some more YouTube research ahead of me it seems.
I seem to recall that the pitman could go on 90 degrees from center and it would go Nascar one direction and school bus in the other.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Took the box the rest of the way apart.

Nothing out of the ordinary here. Then the Pitman shaft was brought up again, so I popped it into the vise and spun it around.

Sure as $h!t it's bent right at the end, so this box just became a core. If it took that much force I'm sure there's other stuff messed up that I'm unqualified to diagnose. Time to get another box.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add insult to injury, the new seal stack blew out of the box too. I didn't like the way the clip seated but it seemed like it was in there. I guess not.
I think this is why the bleeding procedure is such a pain in the butt. Some guys get lucky and just dump some fluid in, crank the wheel, and it's fine. I rebuilt my box and blew out the seals. I finally bought a Redhead box and followed their thorough bleeding procedure, and their box is great. I'm going to reinstall the box I rebuilt into Roscoe and follow the same bleeding procedures.

Still, it sucks that yours was bent.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that was money I didn't want to have to spend to keep this a good deal. I got the reman box in today and it works and doesn't leak, but is too tight. I first tried backing down the over center nut 45 degrees, but that didn't do the trick. Going to need to back off the bearing preload some, but I'll probably not tighten the over center any more as I could feel it drag through the center of the travel. When I put the box in I couldn't turn the input by hand, so I was expecting this. The good news is that the box itself isn't a sloppy mess. The Pitman that came with the truck was pretty new so I pumped a bunch of Lucas grease through it until only red came out and wiped it down. It looks like a Moog arm. Paranoid of blowing seals out again I jacked the wheels up off the ground and turned it back and forth to bleed. The growl never totally went away, probably needs a pump to be totally quiet, thing was run bone dry for God only knows how long, but it works so it can wait. I then set about getting the toe dialed in by eyeball first. Even after the knuckle and ball joint toe was still WAY out.

It doesn't look nearly as terrible as it was jacked up because the tires toe in with droop. I zeroed it by eyeball and went for a quick rip. It pulled HARD to the right, I had to hold the wheel cocked 45 degrees to the left to get it down the road. Came back and it was still out a few inches after everything had settled so I set it with toe plates this time and moved the truck back and forth to get a true reading after the changes. Now it pulled lower case hard to the right, took half or so of that 45 degrees to go straight down the road. I could get it less bad by fudging the alignment with some cross camber/caster, but the problem became more apparent after zeroing the toe and verifying wheel placement in the wells.

I already knew this was a thing, but I had to see the damage with toe set properly. Yep, that's not good. Here's its current glamor shot.

Needs a bath.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So after driving and verifying the truck was still somehow hosed, I took another gander at the frame rails. How did I not see this before? Seems pretty obvious now, but I'm not sure that what I saw will come through in the pics. Good (less bad?) side.

Lots of crap in the way, but look at the curvature of the frame here behind the UCA mounts. And compare that to this.

Easier to see here, that bend is pinched. Makes sense, this sort of bend area is exactly what would give in an impact. Gonna have to call the frame shop and see how good the truck needs to be to get pulled and how good they would need to make it to put their seal of approval on it. Because I'm really not in the mood to replace all the hammered bushings and crap in the front end to get a perfect alignment out of the thing, I have many other fish to fry with this first. Here's more evidence of the bent frame.

I was already tracking this, but without seeing the bend in the frame wasn't quite sure what to chalk it up to. This gem also caught my eye.

Somehow that tie rod didn't catch my attention when I swapped the knuckle. The tie rod ends were damn near bottomed out against one another to get toe where it needs to be. Swapping this out should give some breathing room. Notice that it, like the ball joint and steering box, was pretty new? Why couldn't they break old crap?

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Let's compare the crew to my 1500 here.

Maybe the 1500 frame is tweaked too? Both wear 285s.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh man… hopefully getting it “good enough” doesn’t prove more work than it’s worth..

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh man… hopefully getting it “good enough” doesn’t prove more work than it’s worth..

I've harassed the local frame shop before, I should be in the $300-500 range to yank the frame. I just have to make sure of what strings come attached as I can do my own alignments. Again, this really boils down to what does it take for them to unfuck this truck and sign off on it so I can go about welding and reinforcing the frame not only to hang a plow but also to unf0ok the damage I got it with.