The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
No difference in converters? I know the 6.0 used a flywheel spacer.

No difference in overall depth, as the 80E Input shaft depth didn't change like the 60E did.

That's the purpose of the spacer, to make up the difference in bellhousing to input seat depth on the 4L80E.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No difference in overall depth, as the 80E Input shaft depth didn't change like the 60E did.

That's the purpose of the spacer, to make up the difference in bellhousing to input seat depth on the 4L80E.

I didn't think so, I just got a little paranoid when I saw that 7th bolt hole. Didn't realize they came behind 6 bolt engines.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up a MAPP gas torch for the exhaust nuts. I know the gas isn't special anymore but the torch head is. I was able to get all 6 glowing a dull red and one by one they all willingly spun off. From there I was able to get the inspection cover off and finally removed the converter. Today I picked up a reman converter, input seal, lockup o-ring, cleaned the trans some, and zapped it back into the truck. I then dropped the pan and brought that home for cleaning, I wanted any water that got in to have a way back out as the rag I stuffed in the fill hole blew out while I was pressure washing the case. I probably won't get back to it until Friday and when I do it's getting a harness as well. I banged up the plug when it escaped its strap in the back of the truck. But the worst is over now.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you've never used a trans jack on a lift it's an absolute game changer. You just fiddle with it until the trans clinks over a dowel pin and you can run bolts in by hand. I think the only cussing involved was me struggling to reach the wire harnesses to snap them over the bell housing as I didn't want to pinch them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got most of the rest of the crap bolted up as far as the trans is concerned. Picked up a new harness on my way home, that came in kinda late. I wiped down the pan and tacked it on so I could get the trans jack back under it. Next I swapped the output seal for one without a rolled lip.

Next I noticed this 350 in the shop had a 7th bolt.

I don't recall my LT1 having the 7th bolt? Thought that came about with the LS? But as I was torquing the fasteners to the block I noticed that the previously empty 7th hole was threaded. So I found a random grade 5 fastener at a suitable length, squirted some WD40 into the hole, and sent it home.

Now I'm wondering if the 7th fastener isn't something that I previously knew then un-knew at some point? Anyway once that, the dipstick, the converter bolts, and the inspection cover were buttoned up I tossed the transfer case back in. Did I mention how much lighter the NP243 is than a Borg Warner 1 ton unit? You better take a dump before trying to hoist one of those in manually. It's not just the weight, it's that it's bigger and doesn't drop right in so you have to hold it up there forever. There's WAY more wiggle room with the wee NP243 up there.

I need to paint the cross member prior to reinstalling, then I can zap the exhaust back on too. Next up is the fuel pump which I have on hand as well. Trying to wrap this up by Sunday as I need to give the lift back by Tuesday.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Did I mention how much lighter the NP243 is than a Borg Warner 1 ton unit? You better take a dump before trying to hoist one of those in manually. It's not just the weight, it's that it's bigger...

Really, I didn't know that. The BW is really the only transfercase I've ever had. I assumed they were all about the same size, outside of something like an NP203. Some vehicle I was looking at recently, had such a small T-case that it was cute.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Really, I didn't know that. The BW is really the only transfercase I've ever had. I assumed they were all about the same size, outside of something like an NP203. Some vehicle I was looking at recently, had such a small T-case that it was cute.

It's not a huge difference in size, but it is enough that it's a way bigger pain to get in there if you're not expecting it. And I don't recall how much heavier it was, just that it was a PITA to get in there properly the first time I did one. It was also less than a year after my back surgery and I was a little gunshy about it, but I managed to not ruin myself in the process. The BW can't slide back as far and the torsion bar cross member ends up in the way. You end up angling the thing to get it to start whereas the 243 just drops right on.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not to derail your rebuild thread, but I really like those big cable spools on casters. That's a great idea, relocatable work surface on top,
plus additional space to temporarily store removed items underneath. I'm going to have to borrow that idea and set myself up for success post move...

Thanks for sharing!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not to derail your rebuild thread, but I really like those big cable spools on casters. That's a great idea, relocatable work surface on top,
plus additional space to temporarily store removed items underneath. I'm going to have to borrow that idea and set myself up for success post move...

Thanks for sharing!

Wasn't my idea, my friend is an electrician and cooked that up himself. But yes, very handy indeed.