The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I posted this truck's update in my 1500 thread before I even cracked a beer open. Not sure what I can blame for that senior moment. Here it is:

Today I finally got off my ass and fixed the heater hose. I started by "measuring" the orifice size. I was able to squeeze a 9/32" drill bit through, thought it felt kinda funny that I could do that. A closer look revealed that the restrictor inside was a chunk of rubber.

You must be registered for see images attach

With that said I think I'll engineer my own restrictor next time I'm faced with this. As for the hose?

I gotta say, it fits about as good as factory. I had to be careful how long I cut it so the bend wouldn't kink, but Gates 28480 looks like it's gonna work out great.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Next I went for a suspicious looking piece of blue electrical tape.

Based on my experience thus far, I predict bare metal wires.

I'm right! But not how I'd hoped. The AC works, so WTF did they "fix" with this? Only one way to find out. Yank the jumper and fire up the AC. Compressor short cycled big time, then stopped cycling altogether. Went over and jiggled the plug around and it began to short cycle again. I popped the hold down dealie so it was only half seated and the AC started working properly again. So the conclusion I've come to is the cheap POS switch they replaced since they were in there is made in such an inferior fashion that fully seating the plug makes it inop because it's so tight the thing sits on there cockeyed. As opposed to just keeping the vastly superior 24 year old GM piece. And on top of that, they couldn't take 5 minutes to troubleshoot it. Almost as if they went out of their way to make it worse. And these people get paid to fix cars every day! Fvck1n @$shol3s. I want to depon this thing to slide some heat shrink tubing over the naked bits but my efforts so far have been for naught.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well today I jumped in butthole first.

Yeah, no going back now. I marked it with a sharpie, then cut it slightly bigger than it needed to be and whittled it down from there.

It is now one with the truck. I had to get some .030" wire, the .035" was just too much for this thin stuff. If I'd ever pony up for the gas I see they make it even thinner for the MIG.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That top right corner is gonna take some patience/skill, 2 things I'm short on.

The welding bit went smoother than I anticipated. Super glad this is pretty much behind me. I'll finish up the welding tomorrow, then next week lay some epoxy primer down, seam sealer, rattle can it white for the hell of it, and then I can FINALLY put the carpet back in and bolt all the seats and belts back down.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That top right corner looks like most of my welding. That's an easy fix. Add a little weld on the perimeter, let it cool, and repeat until you get it close enough to weld up.