The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Today I tried to get the bumper halfway aligned before sending the center mount bolts down to 90 ft/lb. Here was the setup:

You must be registered for see images attach

I needed it up a little higher so I added some preload with the jack against the chain tension. The result was not productive.

So I can only assume it's yet another shortcoming with the body lift. I torqued it as it was and the bumper is still low in the center relative to the outside. If you don't know to look for it, it doesn't really stick out. So I torqued those bolts and moved on to cleaning and painting the washer plate thingies for the core support body mounts to get those torqued. Managed to suck my thumbs into the bench grinder's wire wheel a few times which was both a new and unpleasant experience. I don't recommend it. Got that all done and the face finally back on.

Looks about the same as before except for now the frame is clean and painted, new outer fenders, new fresh painted/undercoated not rotted inner fenders, added a proper factory PS cooler, bigger M7B style trans cooler, mounts and stuff visible through the grill no longer rust/overspray color, grill and plastic fender filler bits and outer fenders no longer chopped up for oversized tires which is what rotted out the original fenders in the first place, bumper now fully installed and torqued so it doesn't bounce all over the place, grill now stays together, and passenger's headlight doesn't flop around. I'm sure there's more but that's the gist of it.

While I was doing this, I left the truck running for a while. I'd had a bunch of sub-30 second cold starts to move the thing so I could drive the Z06 to work and wanted a decent heat cycle plus I needed to test the new stat. Per the factory temp gauge it appears to be running 195, so win. It also idled down below 500 so another indicator that we're getting to the proper temp. Since this is a new phenomenon, it wasn't without a quirk: a small misfire. It would lug down just under 500 on the factory tach and give the occasional misfire. After a few, it would flare up to about 500. Very minor flare, I had to do a double take to verify it. I haven't given it so much as an oil change or a tuneup yet so hoping it's low hanging fruit. It's very a very minor quirk at this point. But the first time I moved it out of the driveway with the new fenders something very ugly reared its head. The bent frame that has the wheel shifted back an inch plus causes it to rub on the fender with very little right steering input. So I don't even think it's prudent to dump this thing back at the hangar again until I unbend the frame. Hooray. . .

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You are expect me to give away all of my secrets in here?

I don't entirely trust the factory tach, but my cable for the laptop seems to have grown legs and I can't verify that or ECT. But it is idling lower than before which I attribute to the functioning thermostat.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love the progress on this truck. In my opinion its worth whatever it takes to get the frame situation taken care of. Great job man!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I drove it back out to the hangar today, the race car needs my undivided attention now. Need to unf00k 3rd gear and retard the cam to try and kill a few ft/lb of torque so engine and trans both coming out.

This truck looks a lot nicer than when I first got it. Here it is when I first installed that free grille.

Doesn't do a great job of illustrating how everything behind the grille stuck out like a sore thumb.

I like that the lower air dam covers up the body lift too. I got the interior back together too and check this out.

That's an OG Prodigy, not a P2. I got it last year new in the box circa de 2005 for like $50. I still have to install the 7 pin receptacle to be able to haul anything though. I may need to swipe the encoder motor from my spare transfer case. The 4lo light flashed the whole way out there and when I pulled TCCM codes I got a 1 and a 2.