The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am probably going with the 0411 swap. They are all over on ebay, preloaded with a vin specific program for $100 or less. Can the 0411 run a distributor, or just stab in an msd dist with a 6AL? Also how well does the 0411 run the transmission?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0411 can run the distributor and the transmission without a problem. Will have to do some tuning. Uses 01/02 Era van base program
I am probably going with the 0411 swap. They are all over on ebay, preloaded with a vin specific program for $100 or less. Can the 0411 run a distributor, or just stab in an msd dist with a 6AL? Also how well does the 0411 run the transmission?

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone used this Painless 7.4 wiring harness with the 0411? I will pay handsomely to get rid of the huge stock ecm and deteriorating harness.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That looks like its for a black box ECM, the same thing you have now.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I have a 6AL in my truck. Burns through plugs every 30kmi, but it runs nice.

0411 runs the transmission just fine. I have changed lots of my shift points (both normal and "performance" mode) and firmed up my pressures just a smidge.

IMO, you might want to get a beefier torque converter clutch. I also hope you're putting in a shift kit at the minimum.

That looks like its for a black box ECM, the same thing you have now.

Yes, but a 0411 swap would still happen. The only difference is he'd have a nice soft and supple harness to play with vs. an old rigid sob that doesn't want to give up memory. He could repin outside of the truck and make it look all nice n' purdy... then just drop it in.

And he'd be able to swap computers a little easier too... sorta... kinda...

WillB

Reaction score
I have a couple questions regarding tunes on these. Tried to do a search and didn't see what I'm looking for. Looking at the order form from Black Bear Performance, it asks about how much T.M. I want removed. Ive read that these trucks run much better with that removed. So question is how much to have removed? Truck is a daily driver, pulls trailer occaionally and pushes some snow in the winter. It has 145K miles on it. My other question pertains to swapping the PCM. Talking with them, they don't believe I'll need to have a anyone do a relearn procedure on it. I'm going to have them send me one then send mine back as a core so I can have less down time with the truck. If it does need the relearn, will a Snap On scanner do it or does it have to be the GM Tech 2? I don't have any local GM dealers near me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a couple questions regarding tunes on these. Tried to do a search and didn't see what I'm looking for. Looking at the order form from Black Bear Performance, it asks about how much T.M. I want removed. Ive read that these trucks run much better with that removed. So question is how much to have removed? Truck is a daily driver, pulls trailer occaionally and pushes some snow in the winter. It has 145K miles on it. My other question pertains to swapping the PCM. Talking with them, they don't believe I'll need to have a anyone do a relearn procedure on it. I'm going to have them send me one then send mine back as a core so I can have less down time with the truck. If it does need the relearn, will a Snap On scanner do it or does it have to be the GM Tech 2? I don't have any local GM dealers near me.

If the scanner in question isn't 1000 years old and has bidirectional controls you should be good. What exactly is the scanner in question?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the plug gap?

I wouldn't expect a 6AL to "burn through plugs"; mine certainly didn't.

My 6A on my rotary engine eroded the electrodes down to nubs in about 15,000 miles.
Currently .050" with ACdelco 41-902 . Have any recommendations?
I have torque management 100% removed. I have all engine power I command through the rpm range. It mess with your power enrichment sometimes, so... I just left it off. I've read the trans life will suffer. Probably due to the factory pump output and line pressure?

As far as a Crank relearn, yeah, anything bidirectional should be able to learn the cam offset. Note, if you have an extreme offset already present it will NOT allow the learn procedure to follow through. I don't know what the window is, but I'd say make sure the dizzy is ±5° already before trying it. I had mine set WAY out so it'd be simple to get the dizzy cap off... and I spent about 1.5hrs with a guy with a matco scanner trying to get it to learn.

Note for everyone else, if your offset is already too large, you will never see more than 27-28° timing advance allowed.