The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put low strength all-thread pieces into the block with green loctite,
I'd use harder material, as the low-strength steel is going to end up having to hold the head bolt load on at least part of it's circumference.

If it were me, I'd bore the three head bolt holes for the next-larger pipe thread, then cram iron pipe plugs into those holes with that green Loctite.

Be sure you check out the cooling passages betweeen block and head, too

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd use harder material, as the low-strength steel is going to end up having to hold the head bolt load on at least part of it's circumference.

If it were me, I'd bore the three head bolt holes for the next-larger pipe thread, then cram iron pipe plugs into those holes with that green Loctite.

Be sure you check out the cooling passages betweeen block and head, too

Using pipe plugs makes no sense to me. He'd have to run multiples down the holes, and that would leave gaps where the wrench would fit. Also NPT isn't straight and creates an interference fit, but not the entire length.... unless I'm not understanding something?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need for multiple pipe plugs down the holes--the bolts aren't long enough to need more than one, if that one is carefully chosen.

Don't use female-socketed plugs. Use male plugs. Tap deep enough so that the body of the plug is just barely above the deck surface, with the wrenching surface standing proud. Deck the block afterward to remove male protrusions. You'd also have to hone the cylinders afterwards, as the plugs will distort the block slightly.
Torque-plate hone, of course.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know much of the country doesn't worry about emissions laws, but the Phoenix az laws are strict. Getting improved power and being legal would be worth a lot, both in resale value and in avoiding an annual emissions inspection hassle. I am now considering an Edelbrock Pro flow efi. I could get a Sniper for $1200, but that would also need a manifold like a Performer, plus a distributor and ignition. I was told that route would be emissions legal in AZ. I called the azdeq emissions technical help line today to find out, and not surprisingly, it would not be. A sniper would be legal on a 87-95 TBI engine, but not a 96 up Gen 6 with direct port injection. A Pro flow dpi system could be, according to the tech guy. It would cost about $1,900, which is about the same as a sniper plus performer and distributor (I already have a couple spare msd 6al boxes). The latest version 4 has a really small ecm that can be mounted inside, it includes an electronic distributor that works with the ecm, and it includes a tablet that can be mounted on the dash for tuning. The oval port version runners are normal size oval ports, not peanut, and will support 550 hp. I will call the tech guy back on monday with the part number for his review. If it is equal or better technology (it is), the ruling should be YES. If I can get that in writing, or an assurance that it will pass on waiver if an inspector even notices, I'm in. The upsides are awesome. I think 400 rwhp will be possible.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would also have to get a trans controller, but that could be pretty cool too..

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a degree wheel setup to see what my reground stock cam really measures. I asked for .050 duration numbers of 206 int/210 exh with a 112 lobe separation angle, and hopefully a little more lift and advance if possible. Actual reground duration is 204 intake and 206 exhaust with a true 112 LSA. Lift is increased to .510 intake and .520 exh with a 1.7 rocker ratio. Cam is still retarded, but only by 2°. They got the most lift and advance possible out of the stock profile, without reducing the base diameter too much, while still hitting the LSA of 112. With the adjustable Comp timing set on the way, I will dial it in at 2° advanced.

I don't want to take over this general info thread. I'll start a new build thread if you want.

Attachments

• IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 7

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't want to take over this general info thread. I'll start a new build thread if you want.

I mean, I'm not Brody, but in my opinion information like what you dished out tells us what is possible... and I don't really see an issue with posting some build info in an info thread. Keeps the thread alive and near the top, more folks see it, more folks post to it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean, I'm not Brody, but in my opinion information like what you dished out tells us what is possible... and I don't really see an issue with posting some build info in an info thread. Keeps the thread alive and near the top, more folks see it, more folks post to it.
I don't mind it; I feel bad not being around as much as I used to be to help add stuff to the thread.
Here is a degree wheel setup to see what my reground stock cam really measures. I asked for .050 duration numbers of 206 int/210 exh with a 112 lobe separation angle, and hopefully a little more lift and advance if possible. Actual reground duration is 204 intake and 206 exhaust with a true 112 LSA. Lift is increased to .510 intake and .520 exh with a 1.7 rocker ratio. Cam is still retarded, but only by 2°. They got the most lift and advance possible out of the stock profile, without reducing the base diameter too much, while still hitting the LSA of 112. With the adjustable Comp timing set on the way, I will dial it in at 2° advanced.

Worse comes to worse; you make a separate thread and I can add the link from here to your thread? But like Mangonesailor said; it helps to have visuals as well! I don't mind seeing the build process at all,

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys!

Well the Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 will not pass muster with the state, no matter how clean the exhaust is. So here is yet another efi option: Holley makes a really powerful, universal efi controller, part number 554-113. It will run basically any multi-port injector system, with full control of fueling and spark timing. It is a speed density system and can run open or closed loop. It can run a distributor or coil packs. A larger throttle body and intake pipe can be run for better airflow. But the main advantage is it will look completely stock under the hood and still easily pass the tailpipe emissions test. But of course it's expensive, about $1400 on ebay, and that may not include everything needed.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys!

Well the Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 will not pass muster with the state, no matter how clean the exhaust is. So here is yet another efi option: Holley makes a really powerful, universal efi controller, part number 554-113. It will run basically any multi-port injector system, with full control of fueling and spark timing. It is a speed density system and can run open or closed loop. It can run a distributor or coil packs. A larger throttle body and intake pipe can be run for better airflow. But the main advantage is it will look completely stock under the hood and still easily pass the tailpipe emissions test. But of course it's expensive, about $1400 on ebay, and that may not include everything needed.

I would just use the 411 ecu with individual coil packs conversion if intake stays stock.