The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha sounds like we both got in this game about the same time, but PO rebuilt the motor and bent some push rods bought it like that, and just tinkering with it as I have time. 1200 on rebuild 109k on truck
Wait, your rebuilt motor already has bent pushrods??? Any idea how it happened? Also: the smoky mountains are probably my favorite place in the country this side of the Mississippi. There are a lot of retired people with big money hiding in those mountains and from what I've seen there seems to be some really good cars up there. Gotta be a hotrod shop or at least someone knowledgeable with big blocks in that area.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The push rods used on rebuild were wrong and the guide plates were wrong as well. Yes couple good shops around here. and lots of cars hiding around.. Have a friend just north of me that has over 30 muscle cars collected in his shop.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to source new O2 sensors (all 4) and figured the dealership would have the "best" aka non knock off sensors but they're wanting $85 a pop for each one. Y'all gave me great info on 5.0 motorsports for the injectors, is there a preferred vendor or brand for the 02 sensors?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to source new O2 sensors (all 4) and figured the dealership would have the "best" aka non knock off sensors but they're wanting $85 a pop for each one. Y'all gave me great info on 5.0 motorsports for the injectors, is there a preferred vendor or brand for the 02 sensors?

AC Delco; parts like that are such a crap shoot it's not even funny, certain parts like sensors and senders I always try to go Genuine GM/ACDelco so there's an inkling of the part being decent.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Random question on crank position correlation. If it is not possible to set to 0, would that indicate timing chain issue? New distributor, and setting it back and forth one tooth always ends up either limiting out adjustment at -5 or 10

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Random question on crank position correlation. If it is not possible to set to 0, would that indicate timing chain issue? New distributor, and setting it back and forth one tooth always ends up either limiting out adjustment at -5 or 10

Possibly. Your dizzy cap is going all the way against the intake? You can take the cap off, turn the engine to about 10-15° ATDC, then turn it backwards and note what degree the dizzy rotor starts to move again. If it's more than 7° I'd throw a chain in it.

You can also pull your crank sensor and make sure it's absolutely clean and check your offset again.

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having a problem out of mine now. Months back I replaced my injectors with five o motorsports injectors along with a new fuel pressure regulater. I also put a new fuel filter on the truck.

Tuesday, I was driving the truck at 45 mph or so and the just cut off. I did the classic screwdriver test. I'm not getting no fire to the plugs. However I'm getting fire going to the coil.

All the fuses I can see threw looks great as well.

So far this week I've replaced the following parts but with no luck. Any help appreciated.

New ignition coil
New spark plugs
New distributor
New ignition wires
New cam position sensor
New crank sensor

Anyone have any advice? I'm at a dead-end road and I'm lost.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd check for a continuity issue, or maybe a broken wire.

How's the grounds look on the thermostat? What about the ground from the engine to the frame, is it in good shape?

You might want to try to just check continuity on your ignition module and coil connectors to the ECU/ignition module, likewise on the crankshaft sensor connector to ECU.

WVZR-1

Reaction score
I posted here several days ago ISO information regarding a TSB for the L29 7.4 Vortec Injectors, Fuel Rail, FPR and wiring harness. At the time and on previous visits I overlooked this thread. Thought I'd ask here. Anyone familiar with a TSB? I've no idea what year but the injectors on the assembly are 17109596.