The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those must be LS injectors.... what do they flow? Higher flow injectors often need a tune to make them work, right.
Yep the LS1 injectors. Planning a 0411 swap so figured doing it all at once might be good if I can find injectors I can afford-

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
10/10 don't go with eBay injectors. Quite a few members have tried and most have turned out to be duds, it hurts but it's better to cough up for the 5O Motorsports injectors,
Seems like a good deal for some injectors, seller has good reviews:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203911955224?hash=item2f7a198318:g:MAoAAOSwmrNiVhNw

Might roll the bones...
I personally have loved mine, injectors were the first things I bought for my truck. It's been 5 years and I haven't had a lick of trouble yet.

Now as far as "performance" injectors that's a whole new can of worms,
I've got LS1 28# injectors to swap in one of these days once I get off my ass and start tuning my truck to optimize the factory ones though, @Mangonesailor has pretty much every cross-referenced injectors that will work in these trucks on the first page too,

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've got two sets of OEM injectors. One set is used, with a few known to be leaking.... a guy swapped his injectors out and put the originals up on ebay for basically the cost of shipping. Then I've got another set that I paid about $90 for that were cleaned/tested and packed what looks like oil in a vacuum bag. I purchased both sets years ago. I've debated on trying to use any of them or not.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not noticed it elsewhere in this thread, forgive me if it already is, but the oil pump drive shaft should be upgraded. There is a PLASTIC piece on it that can break. I got an all metal one from a machine shop when I had my dizzy out. Just want to contribute what I can.
I also use a 180 tstat, altered settings on stock computer to turn on electric pusher fan sooner, and rip out the wheel well covers if you have them. Let's heat out better. A body lift would help too, I plan on it someday. And I have a. 4 core aluminum radiator from ebay.

Altered power enrichment where it kicks in when needed by throttle position, that alone helped pull hills better.

I have 3.73 gears, and installed 225/75-16 10 plus, it's like changing to 4.10s, although it looks a lot better with 265's, it tows a ton better.

I also got a set of RV style high heat plug wires with porcelain boots.

Called Delta about a regrind cam, planning that soon.
Desktop Dyno, for what it's worth, Playing around with numbers, it easy to get over a 50flb increase and 70 hp over the whole rpm range.

I have a 0411 and the spreadsheet from lextech, ordered one with a vin from an express van, just haven't pulled the trigger on repining the harness yet, with HP and a custom os 0411, you can real time tune your VE, and Spark.

Hope that helps someone, sorry for long first post.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im wanting to order a set of spark plugs but i seem to have ran into a problem.
Does any know the correct reach of the plug. Everyplace i check offers a few choices but the reach seems wrong. The suggested plugs all range from .441 to .980 in reach.
My under hood sticker is gone so i have nothing to go by really.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think i figured it out from a couple different posts i have read. .708 is supposed to be the perfect reach for iron 454 vortec heads.

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know much of the country doesn't worry about emissions laws, but the Phoenix az laws are strict. Getting improved power and being legal would be worth a lot, both in resale value and in avoiding an annual emissions inspection hassle. I am now considering an Edelbrock Pro flow efi. I could get a Sniper for $1200, but that would also need a manifold like a Performer, plus a distributor and ignition. I was told that route would be emissions legal in AZ. I called the azdeq emissions technical help line today to find out, and not surprisingly, it would not be. A sniper would be legal on a 87-95 TBI engine, but not a 96 up Gen 6 with direct port injection. A Pro flow dpi system could be, according to the tech guy. It would cost about $1,900, which is about the same as a sniper plus performer and distributor (I already have a couple spare msd 6al boxes). The latest version 4 has a really small ecm that can be mounted inside, it includes an electronic distributor that works with the ecm, and it includes a tablet that can be mounted on the dash for tuning. The oval port version runners are normal size oval ports, not peanut, and will support 550 hp. I will call the tech guy back on monday with the part number for his review. If it is equal or better technology (it is), the ruling should be YES. If I can get that in writing, or an assurance that it will pass on waiver if an inspector even notices, I'm in. The upsides are awesome. I think 400 rwhp will be possible.

I did this with Holley’s inj. harness, got the right plug and pins from custom connectors who have about every connector and pin the oems have ever used. I just repinned per what the factory harness is and used a msd dual sync distributor because the crab cap sockets hit the fuel rails. I had Wester’s Garage program my ECM and deleted the rear cats, security and egr and set it up for the cam and compression and gears I was going to have him do a 411 but I don’t have to run this any harder than what the rev limiter is at. I also got a 90 for the top of the throttle body to 4” and am leaving the air filter where it is

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone used this Painless 7.4 wiring harness with the 0411? I will pay handsomely to get rid of the huge stock ecm and deteriorating harness.

You can get 411 connectors and pins from efi connection they use a weather pack type crimp instead of the style cat uses and the cat pins will work to you just have to use the crimp tool for the cat pins. When you go to repin the harness there are a couple of pins that use a different name than the wiring diagram for our trucks use. I’d have to look again but I’m not even sure that the pins are different between the two. I don’t remember at this point as I just assumed they were and ordered the pins for the connectors