The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anybody has experience with maxing out stock ep381 fuel pump? Or drop in 340lph options?

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anybody has experience with maxing out stock ep381 fuel pump? Or drop in 340lph options?
ask VBB199 on the squarebody forum. He was running a stock EP381 on his short wide with a sniper system on the pissed off 502 he built. It was not happy at all, was running super lean. I think he went to a wahlbro 450 unit and it runs way better.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ask VBB199 on the squarebody forum. He was running a stock EP381 on his short wide with a sniper system on the pissed off 502 he built. It was not happy at all, was running super lean. I think he went to a wahlbro 450 unit and it runs way better.
Thanks, pretty much confirms what i was thinking. I remember his build, just not the pump used. Will look in to a pump change.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0411 swap related, but:

To perform the CASE relearn on the 0411 with the GMT400 (/keywords) Pins 32 and 34 on the Blue C1 connector must both be grounded. Then, apply the E-brake, apply the normal brake, and start the engine. Launch the scanner software, initialize the Crank relearn function and within 3seconds of pressing "OK" on the pop-up just put the accelerator to the floor while also pushing the brake. The CEL should turn off and a new pop-up showing the Crank relearn was a success should appear... then you can have a beer (and start checking for misfires at idle so you don't get a P0300!).

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going for a general tune up soon... what are people using for spark plugs? I see the .045 gap info, but iridium's cannot be gapped. There are denso's with a .040 gap... any other recommendations or are those good to go?

For cap/rotor/wires, AC delco?

Thanks!!

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any spark plug can be gapped. Gap to 0.050" to 0.055". normal copper plugs or whatever your heart desires, just run way less gap than factory recommend.

My truck eats MSD caps and rotors. They just don't last. The center carbon terminal wears down to the brass sleeve around it. I have a PN for some "high energy" center terminal button, but I decided to try a Duralast unit (lifetime warranty, so free replacements when they wear out! Right now I've got twice the milage on a Duralast than an MSD and it hasn't failed me yet.

I've had my own experiences with distributors.... and even my replacement oxidizing inside and throwing little oxide bbs all over the innards and shorting stuff. The Duralast unit; It's fully painted with brass terminals.

Taylor makes nice spark plug wires.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Going for a general tune up soon... what are people using for spark plugs? I see the .045 gap info, but iridium's cannot be gapped. There are denso's with a .040 gap... any other recommendations or are those good to go?

For cap/rotor/wires, AC delco?

Thanks!!

So don't use iridium plugs? I've heard not to gap platinums, but I have. I think it's just a risk of braking the little point, so I was careful to keep my distance from it, when I regapped one of my AC Delcos.

I'm not sure factory gaps are always correct, but honestly I haven't changed enough plugs to really know.

Recently, I've heard that manufacturers will give a gap max and min, which I assume has to do with the angle of the electrode.... meaning that if you go outside of thier max/min gap, you change the angle to much. Maybe someone else can clarify this?

I've got some copper NGK plugs for my truck, but when I changed my wires, I just cleaned up the old plugs, which I think are the 3rd set in my truck of AC Delco platinums, and they're gapped at about .055.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So don't use iridium plugs? I've heard not to gap platinums, but I have. I think it's just a risk of braking the little point, so I was careful to keep my distance from it, when I regapped one of my AC Delcos.
A lot of old-school gappers have a notch so you can grab and bend just the ground strap. Don't pry against the tip.