The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I emailed Lextech he said he'd never tuned one. I assume that means datalogging and whatnot? When did you do the swap?

March/April of 2019, I'd have to check back in my e-mails to him but I'm pretty sure he had stated this was the tune that was used on several different trucks

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I emailed Lextech he said he'd never tuned one. I assume that means datalogging and whatnot?

I'm not aware that he's ever tuned someone else's on a forum or remotely, but he does have a cammed 454 that turned up.

If you compare a factory tune and it's limits to what Brody and I got from lextech, there are many many things that should be done to put those to a stock-ish, at least the few I've seen. I was VERY surprised to see brody's timing table. I think I showed it to christian. We changed his table to something conservative based on my truck at the time ( I think I used my low-octane table actually, the super-safe one) and that's what he has started with.

Granted, I'm no expert, but I know a thing or two.

If you get HP tuners you're welcome to send your tune to me and I'll make you a list of changes that I would do if I spot something. No prob at all.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think I posted my timing table vs yours in Brody's thread. I know I posted some torque converter lock/unlock stuff. My starter tune I cooked up ended up being pretty damn good for my truck. Sadly, I've done very little to it because of that. It would clean up very nicely with minimal effort. That said, when I took it down to MI, I got lucky and the boosted AFRs we're still good. I just pulled some timing out of the high load areas to make it less pissed.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My starter tune I cooked up ended up being pretty damn good for my truck

I remember that. And recently I've been reading up on vibrations that can be caused by headers that will set off knock sensors.

Further fun, the knock sensors we have in our blocks are supposedly not the same as the L31s of either gmt400 or gmt800 trucks. 8.1 sensors may be the way to go, as there are 0411 settings for them.

But that's something that's not happening soon for me.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not aware that he's ever tuned someone else's on a forum or remotely, but he does have a cammed 454 that turned up.

If you compare a factory tune and it's limits to what Brody and I got from lextech, there are many many things that should be done to put those to a stock-ish, at least the few I've seen. I was VERY surprised to see brody's timing table. I think I showed it to christian. We changed his table to something conservative based on my truck at the time ( I think I used my low-octane table actually, the super-safe one) and that's what he has started with.

Granted, I'm no expert, but I know a thing or two.

If you get HP tuners you're welcome to send your tune to me and I'll make you a list of changes that I would do if I spot something. No prob at all.

Lextech's base tune is definitely just a base, maybe even not enough to call it that. I wouldn't recommend anyone run it for any real extent of time, just plan on needing tuning.

I helped a guy awhile ago on here who's timing table was so far advanced it was causing crazy misfires.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback and assistance as HP Tuners/ 0411 swap is new territory for me. It makes sense that Lextech gives you the base parameters and since every truck is different/ mods/ etc. it is up to you to fine tune. He did say it will fire up and idle so that is good! From there I will data log and post spark and fuel tables as it seems you guys have tons of experience dialing these 454 vortecs in.

I am just excited for the expandability and finer settings available by swapping in the 0411 unit. Being a 96, my truck is on the cusp of the OBD2 switch and definitely has some "quirks and features" as doug would say.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback and assistance as HP Tuners/ 0411 swap is new territory for me. It makes sense that Lextech gives you the base parameters and since every truck is different/ mods/ etc. it is up to you to fine tune. He did say it will fire up and idle so that is good! From there I will data log and post spark and fuel tables as it seems you guys have tons of experience dialing these 454 vortecs in.

I am just excited for the expandability and finer settings available by swapping in the 0411 unit. Being a 96, my truck is on the cusp of the OBD2 switch and definitely has some "quirks and features" as doug would say.

Seeing as how yours is a 96 as well, definitely follow the EGR instructions to a T; that fought me for a couple days until I realized I had it pinned wrong.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seeing as how yours is a 96 as well, definitely follow the EGR instructions to a T; that fought me for a couple days until I realized I had it pinned wrong.

10-4. What were your symptoms until you diagnosed and fixed?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
10-4. What were your symptoms until you diagnosed and fixed?

Well it was sort of a compounded issue really, I was already having issues with the truck idling due to the MAF not functioning, but the biggest issue was my idle, it idled really low and would die if I put it in gear; I think Lextech mentions it directly in his pinout

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha thx- I have looked at the pins a few times and feel confident in the swap but need to block out the time to get it all done right the first time.