The Nth Steering thread for 96 Z71's.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, adding to the plethura of threads revolving around this. I just replaced the following on my 96 Sierra because they were shot:
1)Idler
2)all tie rods
3)upper control arms with BJs
4)steering box (refurbished...autozone...)
5)intermediate shaft in the engine compartment. I think I may have seen a knuckle or joint under the dash as well, but I haven't verified.

Everything else, as far as I can tell, is good. What else can there be? I mean the slop is so bad that I don't really feel confident in my ability to turn quickly enough in an emergency.

It looks like the lower ball joints are good, but what is the surefire to check that?

I've seen threads that talk about 2 different adjustments in the steering box. Is this a thing?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4)steering box (refurbished...autozone...)

Have someone turn the wheel while you watch the steering shaft and pitman arm. See if they’re moving in tandem or if there’s a delay.

GM steering gear setup is below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have someone turn the wheel while you watch the steering shaft and pitman arm. See if they’re moving in tandem or if there’s a delay.

GM steering gear setup is below.

Man thanks so much. I will do just that. I'll see where the slop is coming from before checking into the info you provided.