the mysterious interior rain leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Second: I have a trickle of water still leaking in in the corner down the weld seam. I have sealed the metal area on the cowl. (second picture) Any ideas on what to look at next?

A couple of places to check...

Watch from underneath the dash (glovebox removed) and get someone to pour water over the outside.

Mine leaked at the lower windshield corner (pull the A-pillar to see) due to a failed windshield seal. Also, it leaked through the grommet in behind the kick plate.

You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. My ‘96 has all the symptoms-water leaking in after rain or car wash and you can hear it sloshing around. UGH! Guess I’ll start with drains and silicone for all screws/holes. Anyone ever figure out a way to remove the standing water?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. My ‘96 has all the symptoms-water leaking in after rain or car wash and you can hear it sloshing around. UGH! Guess I’ll start with drains and silicone for all screws/holes. Anyone ever figure out a way to remove the standing water?
If you have standing water, then the drain or drains are clogged. You can blow them out with compressed air.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll blast them tomorrow. Any psi recommendation? 50-60?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep a copy of @someotherguy 's post about that screw in my "infamous truck file" and have sent it with due credit to the author to several who have had that problem. Since it isn't easy sometimes to track down a thread I suggest the "truck file" as a good idea for these really useful things. It sure has served me well. Glad you dried it out!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I keep a copy of @someotherguy 's post about that screw in my "infamous truck file" and have sent it with due credit to the author to several who have had that problem. Since it isn't easy sometimes to track down a thread I suggest the "truck file" as a good idea for these really useful things. It sure has served me well. Glad you dried it out!
LOL, yea , I had the screw leak, or there was no screw there in my case. Someotherguy, gave my $hit about it, but I have to admit, I deserved it. As for blasting out the vents, they are just open spaces leading down the inside of the fender, so you can hit them hard, ot wont matter. When I did mine, I tore into the cowl as much as I could. I took the home water hose and turned it on to a full flow, but without a lot of pressure. Where the water was just flowing out of the hose. I ran that in the hole where the plastic cover is on top of the vent, after removing it. I ran it all around that area, and could see the water flowing around the fresh air vent. Also this told me that the drains were open and working rite. You could test the drains the same way even without removing the plastic vent covers.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:boxing:Ok pulled cowl, blasted air in n drain. Earlier in this thread I’m sure I read there is another on driver side. I searched for that, I don’t believe mine has it. Any way looking at all the removed screws it’s obvious that the aforementioned screw on passenger side is the only possible candidate for leaks. That and some of the painted sealant. My sealant had a few cracks. I wiped everything down clean with alcohol. The cracks in sealant and “screw” hole got black RTV sealant. I then used Cabela’s spray Silicone and sprayed all of that 4 times. Put cowl back and added RTV to that screw culprit. While in there I replaced both heater hoses w/couplings. Hoping that resolves it!

Last edited:

Killerc998

Reaction score
Mine was leaking from some seam sealer that cracked by the top of pass windshield. It would run down the a pillar to the bottom of windshield, then leak down behind the dash like it was the firewall. Pic is before I sealed it.