The Jaggernaut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I always hoped those XR4Ti's were gonna be a Sierra RS Cosworth available in America. They weren't.

It's super cool to see this big girl get to fighting weight. Jaguar makes such good looking cars, these are no exception.
When I was a kid in England these XJ's were driven by businessmen and gangsters. Living in London I saw plenty of both!
Phil on EastEnders.....

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always hoped those XR4Ti's were gonna be a Sierra RS Cosworth available in America. They weren't.
Yup. Merkur really seemed like another half-baked idea from Ford, and it was obvious from the get-go they weren't really trying. Mercury hadn't (and never did) receive the support it needed to be a mid-luxury brand, and it really seemed like Ford was just adding another side brand alongside a brand they weren't supporting. If they'd brought it in as a Mercury, offered the performance versions, and supported some racing, it would probably have been more successful. As it is, Mercury went defunct in 2011.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once the import market heated up neither Mercury nor Pontiac really had a reason to exist. At the end of each brand neither had unique models, just rebadges of mainline products. Meanwhile Volkswagen, and then the Japanese imports, brought in truly different cars. I think that for a major manufacturer, two or three brands is optimum. The mainstream brand, a luxury brand, and optionally a truck brand. I still think GM is doing it wrong. Chevy either needs to get out of the truck business and let GMC handle it, or they need to ditch the GMC label. Dodge spun Ram off into its own brand. Ford runs their trucks under the house label. GM needs to poo or get off the pot.

When it comes to luxury brands, Ford can't decide what it wants to do with Lincoln. If they don't start marketing Lincoln is going to die the same death as Mercury. GM has a good grasp of how to manage Cadillac, they just need to reintroduce reliability. Dodge has one luxury vehicle, the Chrysler 300. The Pacifica is the only other Chrysler currently for sale, and it has no luxury panache. The 300 is truly a budget luxury car, but Chrysler really needs a halo car, and it can't be a smoking turd reliability-wise.

Meanwhile Acura and Lexus are still doing relatively well and Hyundai has spun off Genesis into a luxury brand. Nissan is seriously trying with Infiniti, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot.