The good old days "Rubbing was racing"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're missing the point. Old stuff and nostalgia is cool, but it's also a reminder of how far we've come.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
You're missing the point. Old stuff and nostalgia is cool, but it's also a reminder of how far we've come.

I think the old stuff is cooler still, not sure why though. It would be ****** awesome to see a NASCAR race run with old Winston Cup Monte Carlos, Firebirds, Thunderbirds, all the cool old cars.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
...Old stuff and nostalgia is cool, but it's also a reminder of how far we've come.
I can agree with this. Old stuff is nostalgic and cool, but that being said we've come a long way. The automotive world has progressed some much that now instead of making cars fast, its all about how to make cars the most efficient and safe. I'm all for safety, the safety technology that cars have today is insane. Back then you would never hear about people walking away from gnarly wrecks with just a bruise or a scratch. But, with progression results in evolution. For better or for worse, gas powered vehicles are going to be obsolete and electric cars are the future. As much as I hate it, I'm forced to accept it because that's the way the cookie crumbles in the engineering world. You either get with the program, or you get left behind.

I hate it because that results in people like you and I becoming a dying breed. Gearheads who love the thrill of putting your foot down and hearing that engine roar to life, or spending late nights working on our cars and cursing the damn thing when the one bolt doesn't break loose LOL. It's scary to think one day, sooner than later, cars around us are going to be all-electric and gas powered vehicles are going to be seen as dangerous and unsafe to drive... not to mention I couldn't even fathom the gas prices in the future.

https://www.gm.com/mol/m-2018-mar-0307-barra-speech.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannm...tric-cars-and-hybrids-worldwide/#fcd75117801f
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/11/v...tric-versions-of-all-of-its-vehicles-by-2030/

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the old stuff is cooler still, not sure why though. It would be ****** awesome to see a NASCAR race run with old Winston Cup Monte Carlos, Firebirds, Thunderbirds, all the cool old cars.
Back in the day, we had a ex Nascar driver that got in one of the weekly winning late model cars at the dirt track and it was like a comedy show. 1/4 mile dirt track with 25-30 cars in a feature race gets interesting. My brother in law run at the same track with us, and when the flag dropped he knew no one, he was a weekly winner and his car looked like it had been used for demolition derbys, but if there was a hole to put it in he went there, and if there was not a hole he would make one.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How far we have come is the sad part to me, everything has become about money and not a lot of average Joe guys can enjoy any kind of track racing any longer, It use to be about building it or creating it not having a pocket full of money to go to Jegs or Summit and buy it. My point about the good old days was about a kid that his dad had laying under cars putting transmissions, clutch's, rear ends in at 11 - 12 years old, I was not out shooting people because I did not win a video game I was to busy getting greasy and having fun, my video game was hot lapping a car for warm ups until I was actually old enough to drive one in the race, that is the only point I was trying to make.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score

Yes. This. A heritage or vintage series. Put them at Talladega and one of the short tracks like Bristol. With no restrictor plates or fake cars stickered up to look like a ford or chevy. No field leveling regulations. Let the cars RUN, and let the drivers DRIVE. That would be a ******* RACE.