The Custom Conversion Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Went to a j/y this morning and found a 97 Monroe Sport Truck. Idiot me completely forgot to take a picture of it, but it was teal with graphics, stainless rocker trim, custom cloth 40/20/40 seats (were in very nice condition!), and some ugly stick-on carbon fiber dash kit. The person must have removed the wood trim. I grabbed the "Monroe Sport Trucks" badges for $5, I might put them on my 97. Hard to find info on the Monroe's. I was actually going to grab some Centurion badges that they had there, but they crushed it, but found this truck instead, win-win.

You must be registered for see images attach

My 99 CCSB has those Monroe badges.

It came fitted with a bug guard & window deflectors (Lund brand), stainless tube steps/running boards, wood grain dash/door panels, bowtie emblems on the front headrests and stainless rear step bumper(MAAP brand).

Not sure it was worth the extra (custom) price tag they put on all that, had a sticker price of 37k and it sat on the dealers lot for about a year next to two others(Ducks Unlimited IIRC, 1 green & 1 black), they let me take it for 29.5K in late December of 1999.

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
My 99 CCSB has those Monroe badges.

It came fitted with a bug guard & window deflectors (Lund brand), stainless tube steps/running boards, wood grain dash/door panels, bowtie emblems on the front headrests and stainless rear step bumper(MAAP brand).

Not sure it was worth the extra (custom) price tag they put on all that, had a sticker price of 37k and it sat on the dealers lot for about a year next to two others(Ducks Unlimited IIRC, 1 green & 1 black), they let me take it for 29.5K in late December of 1999.

Nice! That seems to be common with most of those Monroe Sport Trucks from my experiences. The truck I pulled those badges off had an ugly stuck-on carbon fiber dash kit instead of the wood, which was kinda interesting...

Here's what the truck looked like:

There was also another Monroe for sale a while back, it had the carbon fiber kit in it as well and the pinstripe:

Kie91

Reaction score

This is my 1991 Chevy Silverado K3500 big block dually. Converted when new by Trail Wagons to be a “Maxim”. According to Gary Lukehart the founder of TW they made 10.

She’s at 72k miles and going strong. I spent the last 2 years getting her sorted and ship shape. Wish I had found this forum earlier lol.

ThaEdge

Reaction score
Post your pics of your custom conversion truck! Also state what company made the conversion.

@jdla140 and I wanted to start a thread dedicated to these custom conversion trucks as we think they are super cool.
This is my Unique Conversions 1996 CCLB C3500 7.4 vortec with 4:10 rear end (she's thirsty).

I'm the second owner and I've had it for almost 2 years. So this company supposedly upgraded the factory leaf springs to handle more weight for a slide in camper along with adding the costom striping on the exterior and teak accents on the interior. It needs paint and some minor body work but there's zero rust other than some very minor serface rust. The teak accents need to be refinished and the leather is completely shredded in the front and not good in the back. I'm an amature wood worker and plan on making a teak center console and top console, I feel like it should have had that to begin with. I've replaced the carpet (it was disgusting). I'm working on the stereo system, 3 of the 4 speakers were blown and the one that was left sounded like if frozen cat sh** had a sound. I'm deleting the stupid 4x6's and adding two more 6.5's in the rear doors. Along with a 10" sub that will be mounted under the rear seat in the floor. That's right, I said "IN" the floor! If anyone has the sub grill, or knows of one, from a gmt-800 yukon or suburban let me know, I'm trying to keep it looking stock. Also if anyone knows if there's a Bluetooth adapter that would plug into the CD player port that will give the functionality of controlling the music player on a phone or other device let me know, that would be sick! I also need a good source for the leather apolstery and sun visors. I have a whole list of things! I also need a new rear view mirror with the compass and temperature...

A few notable metions:
This truck was originally sold by Southern Cadillac and Chevrolet in Alexandria LA in '97.
I have most of the service records as well as the original regestration. The original owner took it and had all the fluids changed to Valvoline sinthetic at 126 miles and changed the engine oil religiously at 3000k and also did all the other fluid changes at the recommended intervals and he recorded it in the owner's manual. I have changed the radiator, the altenantor, ac compressor, evaporator, distributor and power steering cooler and lines. She's mostly original otherwise.

Attachments

• 20221001_075748.jpg
    20221001_075748.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221001_184843.jpg
    20221001_184843.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221001_075803.jpg
    20221001_075803.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221001_075612.jpg
    20221001_075612.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221001_075739.jpg
    20221001_075739.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 19

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Conversion trucks aren't exactly my cuppa tea, but that white dually, post #105. Mmmm! That's nice. I like that one.
Just needs a bit of relaxation of the altitude.
With a Gear Vendor's O/D unit it wouldn't be quite as thirsty.
Although, BBC. Even a 30% improvement would only net 13mpg as opposed to the maybe 10 it gets now. Empty.

Found this the other day. Sold long time ago.
Quite the paint color. Almost looks like a Gene Winfield Fade with the way the sun hits it in some pix. Certainly different.
The rest of the truck is in really nice condition too.
Other than the door latch alignment the D/S needs. Probably pins too.
Watch the crappy way the door closes in the vid. All wrong. Even with no sound, I heard that across the parking lot.
But other than that...

Wonder how much it went for?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Conversion trucks aren't exactly my cuppa tea, but that white dually, post #105. Mmmm! That's nice. I like that one.
Although, BBC. Even a 30% improvement would only net 13mpg as opposed to the maybe 10 it gets now. Empty.

Found this the other day. Sold long time ago.
Quite the paint color. Almost looks like a Gene Winfield Fade with the way the sun hits it in some pix. Certainly different.
The rest of the truck is in really nice condition too.
Other than the door latch alignment the D/S needs. Probably pins too.
Watch the crappy way the door closes in the vid. All wrong. Even with no sound, I heard that across the parking lot.
But other than that...

Wonder how much it went for?

Don't know what company did those conversion trucks, but in greater Houston, Texas area, back in the day, the fade ones were pretty plentiful. Teal was the most common, but I remember seeing gold ones as well as burgundy and dark blue ones. Some of them had better paint jobs than others, the bad ones didn't age well.
That gold truck you're referencing, looks like a good paint job on it. Very pretty.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what company did those conversion trucks, but in greater Houston, Texas area, back in the day, the fade ones were pretty plentiful. Teal was the most common, but I remember seeing gold ones as well as burgundy and dark blue ones. Some of them had better paint jobs than others, the bad ones didn't age well.
That gold truck you're referencing, looks like a good paint job on it. Very pretty.
I’ve seen so many paint fade OBSs in DFW. Most of them are very bad lol the red to silver fade is always the worst.
Same, that is a nice truck. I like the pinstripes.