The Broken Tools Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just broke a tool yesterday. Which got me thinking about others I have broken over the years. Everyone always wants a lifetime warranty on a tool, but how often do they break? Figured we could showcase the tools we've broken, and how they broke.

I'll start.

First was a 1/2" drive 3" extension(Craftsman USA made) about 10 years ago. It literally blew apart first time using it. One piece went flying probably 30 ft. I was at a junkyard using a 24" breaker bar. It still lives in the top of my tool box, never warrantied it.
You must be registered for see images attach

I've broken a few older Craftsman USA made ratchets. One is my 1/2" drive flex head. I will be getting a rebuild kit for that hopefully, as I don't want a newer one to replace it.

Yesterday I think I broke my 18" 3/8" drive extension. Not positive that it wasn't already broken. I got it for free, its a no name extension. I used it with my M18 3/8 Impact yesterday on exhaust bolts. Now its cracked. I try not to use non impact rated tools on an impact, however sometimes I just have to do it.

I also broke my friends old SK breaker bar. Don't remember how it happened, other than the drive end snapped off while working on my car. Don't have a picture of that one.

I have never had a socket break(although I have seen it). I have a drawer full of spare sockets that I'll use for misc things like, hammering onto a rounded off nut etc. Never had a wrench break either.

Share yours!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
too many to count. i have a broken US made 1/2" craftsman ratchet sitting on top of my box the fwd/reverse lever broke clean off, it still works however so not not replacing it with china made. i have a couple broken snap-on screwdrivers i have replacement parts for but been too busy to replace them. i split my 4lbs dead blow hammer so i need to warranty that at Harbor Freight lol

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too many to count. I buy quality stuff 95+% of the time. The most recent was a snap on 3/8 drive 13mm mid depth socket. It was the second time that I used it. I cracked it using my snap on flex head ratchet. It must have had a flaw.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The day before yesterday my wife brought home one of those school-style kids chairs from the church nursery. One of the kids was rough-housing on it and cracked the frame. Yesterday I sanded the paint back and welded it up. I went to reinstall the plastic seat with the same rivets we use on our window regulators, and my stupid rivet gun ate one of the rivet shafts funny. I fought with it for half an hour, but it's all mangled and caught in the innards of the riveter, and there's no way to get it out. Gotta buy a new riveter today.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I see theres much fancier rivet guns out there compared to my old normal ones. but they have a clear sight right through it where the rivet shaft comes out. anytime that happens I can just tap another rivet shaft through to push the bent one out.

you cant do that Eric? I'm sure you would have done that if it was possible.

mine work, there probably older than me, never fail but I like that cheap one that PWTBI bought for the window regulator. Iv never seen one like that and I'm sure it would make using the larger rivets much easier.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Whenever I break a tool, sure it pìsses me off but I get a sense of accomplishment in the fact that I somehow won. LOL.

I cant really think of any tools Iv broken lately besides bending an old Japanese pry bar. I was able to bend it back. it's so damn old it's a relic. I thought about heat treating it but I wouldnt know the outcome of it being hit with a hammer or something so I decided that it was to only be used on nails instead.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you cant do that Eric? I'm sure you would have done that if it was possible.
Yeah, I already tried that. The rivet shaft is mangled inside the barrel. I tried pushing it out with another rivet and nearly got the other rivet stuck in there with it. I tried tapping a drillbit through, and it started coming out the other side. I think the rivet shaft is mangled into the gripping mechanism. The problem is that the rivet is shrouded by the edge of the plastic chair, so I had to pull it to the side as I was using the tool. I think that got the shaft off into the mechanism.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I break tools weekly. Sometimes it feels like it’s a daily thing. Wrenching for a living it kinda becomes something that doesn’t surprise you. GP (grey pneumatic)Highly recommend these. I’ve had these sets for 5 years now and haven’t broke any yet. I got mine off the Mac truck. But they are available cheaper on Amazon and they are lifetime as well.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
damn that sucks Erik!

I remember what tool I broke that pissed me off the most.

a 20V Dewalt Chainsaw. it was perfect for my wife or oldest kid to use to limb trees for me. I had it for about 2 years and it seen a lot of use. it was a great tool actually but it has a major design flaw. one day the chainsaw just would not work. it turns out to only have a 3 month warranty, which I did know but long forgot about... the oil chamber is a part of the cover and is split in 2 halves. the owners manual says to remove the oil when your done using the saw, otherwise damage may occur to the machine.... BECAUSE the oil will seep into the motor and into all the electronic mechanisms eventually shorting something out!

WTF!

what a POS! I literally have maybe 30, 20V dewalt tools and they all work great and I still have all of the batteries as well... just dont buy the chainsaws! maybe they have changed the design or maybe the 60V ones have a sealed oil chamber, I dont know but I wont ever buy a dewalt chainsaw ever again!

buy chainsaws from companies that actually build chainsaws, like Stihl, Echo, & Husqvarna. I only have Stihls now.

Oh and I destroyed a belt on the lawnmower so grass cutting is done. I however got the backyard cut before it shredded so at least the backyard dosent look like a hay field!

sum beach! the grass is finally dry enough to cut!