The Broken Tools Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buy chainsaws from companies that actually build chainsaws, like Stihl, Echo, & Husqvarna. I only have Stihls now.
After watching Project Farm's review, I'm really interested in the Makita rechargeable chainsaw. I'm done with gas chainsaws. They're always fidgety to get running, and then you have to cut as much as you can, shut it down, get more cuts lined up, repeat. Right now I have a handful of plug-in Remington chainsaws. They're dinky and light duty, but handy as hell. You point, pull the trigger, cut, and set it back down. No farting around with restarting them.

I pitched my old, cheap, but made-in-the-USA rivet gun and got a better quality Harbor Freight "Quinn" brand rivet gun. It finished the rivets with no issues, and is easier to crank on.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Makita chainsaws eh? have you read the owners manual and do they have a solid oil container? (sorry I reread and see your referring to a review video... and now realize it's a rechargeable chainsaw)

nah I dont have anything makita. the draw for the dewalt chainsaw was I have about 20 batteries but I have 5, 5amp batteries, the good ones that last forever.

my stihl (model 034) has never been taken apart and has always started for me. I have only removed the plastic to clean the saw. never even touched the carb. Iv had this particular chainsaw 12 years now and it has only ever had ethanol free gas in it. it will start no matter the temp on maybe the 3-5th pull and will idle till it runs out of gas. that's what I need because I heat with wood.

I have looked up rechargeable stihl chainsaws. they have excellent reviews and are made by stihl. lol. my wife is on board but in all honesty its it's not in the cards, just make due with what we've got.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
hey Erik, your not talking about pullen chainsaws are you?

hahaha something that has stuck in my head since I was a kid... my uncle said, never ever buy a pullen unless you like to keep pulling! because the damn things wont ever run right! I have no idea how true that is but I have never owned a pullen. LMAO.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bet that was pretty loud!
Yes, it was. At first, I thought the part came or broke loose, but, no, I broke the split plate. So, I had to go tell the owner what happened. We priced a new one, and it was like $800. We never did replace it. The owner and I went to high school together. We are friends, but he is still the boss, or should I say, His wife is. She does a lot around here when it comes to all of the office stuff. They really are the best people I have ever worked for.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've spent some years in a couple manufacturing shops but you have me a bit stumped Kenny, what is split plate and what does it do? is this for unpressing parts somehow?
Yes. It's used for several different things, but mostly you would put it behind a bearing, on a shaft, and it gives you a way to pull that bearing off of the shaft. It's much stronger than a screw type of bearing puller, like a fly wheel puller, or steering wheel puller works. This works with a press. Or you can screw in rods and a bar with a center screw to pull with also. I broke that one in our big press. I had a out 650,000 pounds of force when it broke. Yeah, it was loud.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, it was. At first, I thought the part came or broke loose, but, no, I broke the split plate. So, I had to go tell the owner what happened. We priced a new one, and it was like $800. We never did replace it. The owner and I went to high school together. We are friends, but he is still the boss, or should I say, His wife is. She does a lot around here when it comes to all of the office stuff. They really are the best people I have ever worked for.
Closest I've come to that, I was pressing out a bearing on a wheel hub assy, and the hub actually fractured. Off to the junkyard I went to get another one. Ended up finding one with a good bearing to. Kept the bearing and ended up needing it about 3 months later after someone hit the car into a curb and buckled the lower control arm. Fun stuff!

That was also my first experience with a press. I'm sure it was user error. It was cheaper to buy a 20T Harbor Freight press than take the car to the shop.