The "Back to Stock" Build - 92 C1500 ECSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you order the wheels from?
Autorimshop.com - they don't seem to have as many options now as they did when I got them 2 yrs ago. In fact I don't even see the 5-lug variety on there now.

I'm not sure if they make them new or refurbished but whatever it is has a GM stamp on the inside and they did a darn good job with it.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE: Just put in a Bluetop steering box & replaced the lines going to the pump. Truck steers both easier & tighter than I could have ever hoped, and that is with the rag joint setup so it will probably be amazing with a Borgeson steering shaft someday. I'm convinced the lines were shot - probably crud in them from the original system (when I got the truck the steering fluid was black/burnt and pump was squealing).

If it was the lines, the box had to go anyway, it was just way too dangerous from all the play and also was binding up on me near the center wheel position, requiring an arm workout. NOT fun to drive.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will call this one "back to stock" for obvious reasons. This truck (92 C1500) was riced the **** out of but also heavily neglected. Got it in northeast PA at a combination carwash/auto shop in May 2020 for $4500. I was informed it had a "new" engine & trans. I immediately got to work on undoing the ugliness and countless redneck repairs, probably by those same carwash guys. Here's a pic of the day I got it home:

You must be registered for see images attach

I have no idea where the grille & lamps came from, he told me it was out of a Land Rover. That does not explain the center bevel it had like a GMT400 grille, LOL. Talk about butt ugly!

This wasn't the worst part. I was only allowed to test drive it in the parking lot. I did not notice any erratic shifting, however it was a royal pain to steer and LOUD (straight piped into Glasspacs). Being in such a hurry after looking at several other vehicles, I forgot to keep the motor running when I checked under the hood. With a proper inspection I would have noticed the severe blowby from the "new" 350. Also, he lied, it was actually a 305.

As I made the 60 mi drive back to Jersey I was getting nauseous from what smelled like exhaust, and I was starting to see smoke come in through the dash (turned out to be blowby gases). The alignment was shot & brakes practically to the floor (although I already knew these trucks are notorious for squishy brakes).

Before getting up to my knees in the mechanical stuff I decided to at least make it look like something I want to drive. She immediately got new lights (owner sold me the stock grille with it):

Now time to ditch those terribly painted-over-chrome rims!

Above is what I ordered and you are probably facepalming. I had no clue the 2wd trucks were 5-lug. This guy misled me with the wheels he had on it - turned out to be 2 inch conversion spacers on the stock hubs. I did not realize until I was at the tire shop mid-swap and they told me I would not be able to ditch the spacers, DOH!
Headlights look like from Range Rover(3 gen) but grille idk. I love parking Tahoe next to my friend's 2012 Range Rover-you can see how messad proportions are one them comparing to Tahoe.

Last edited: