The $150 350 Rebuild and Rotocap Retainer Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working my way through the $150 350 I got last year, and the engine is an L98 Marine engine. The engine has very little wear and is pretty clean inside. The heads have double valvesprings and 1.94/1.50 valves. I did a cleanup port job on them, matched the intake port inlets to the gasket, and polished the combustion chamber and exhaust ports. One of the heads had a fairly bad core shift in the ports that cleaned up nicely.

I'm putting the engine back together with a stock L31 roller cam, which is shorter duration and higher lift than the L98 cam. It was also only $20 from Pull-A-Part. From what I can find, the L98 double valvesprings are stiffer than the stock L31 valvesprings, so I'm sticking with them. I've considered Elgin 1.6 stamped, self-aligning rocker arms, but $100 is out of budget for this build so the factory L98 self-alinging rockers are getting reused.

The valves are interesting. The intakes are .341" stem, while the exhaust are .372" stem. Two of the exhaust valves were corroded and I trashed them. Replacements were $10 a piece compared to $5 a piece for the three bad intake valves. The intake valvespring retainers look normal, but the exhausts are "rotocap" retainers. I had to spend ten minutes or so googling retainer pictures to figure that out. It looks as if the L98 Marine motors were set up with more robust exhaust valve parts.

The factory intake retainers are 22 grams. The rotocap retainers are 37 grams. The chintzy tin caps on the valves are 10 grams. While I'm keeping the budget tight on this engine, I'm not in favor of killing horsepower, so I spent $28 on a set of GM retainers, and I plan to run them without the tin caps.

My question for the more experienced builders (this is my fourth SBC build), is this a solid plan?

Anybody know more about rotocap retainers? Are they goofy BS? Do I keep them in my spares bucket? Is it a mistake not using them?

Pics for those of you, who like me had never heard of rotocaps. I know that I've seen them before, but I never paid much attention to them.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Valve rotators are not that unusual, especially in "heavy duty" high-GVW vehicles, or any others expected to be run hard. (Marine!)

2. They're heavy as hell. Ideally, they're under the valve spring instead of jumping up and down on top of the valve spring.

3. I pitch them on sight for any engine NOT being used in a 2-ton dump-truck or similar.

4. Kinda too bad you're stuck with the heavy-ass exhaust valves.

5. I'd expect an oil shield like that on valves that use double-grooves and a rubber O-ring as a valve stem seal. No shield...O-ring's useless...better have a real valve stem seal in place.

6. Make sure the new retainers fit the valve, keepers, and spring. There's a million variations.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. I pitch them on sight for any engine NOT being used in a 2-ton dump-truck or similar.
Okay, that was my thought as well.

4. Kinda too bad you're stuck with the heavy-ass exhaust valves.
Yup. I'm not happy about that, but it's not a deal breaker on a $150 engine.

5. I'd expect an oil shield like that on valves that use double-grooves and a rubber O-ring as a valve stem seal. No shield...O-ring's useless...better have a real valve stem seal in place.
I have some of those chintzy plastic valve seals, and I figured I'd use them up on this motor since I don't plan on it being a long-term engine. My goal is to run this for a year or two and then pull it and put a stroker kit and a real set of heads on it.

6. Make sure the new retainers fit the valve, keepers, and spring. There's a million variations.
Ugh, yup. Looking at the factory intake retainers, they don't have a second step for the inner spring, so I figured they were okay and I ordered the same retainers.

The keepers are interesting. So far I can't tell any of the 32 pieces apart. It looks like they used the same keepers for the .341" valve stems as they used on the .372" valve stems. I may have to get out my calipers and lay them on a table edge to measure them.