Thanks gmt400 for all your help! Build thread to come

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok quick update. I’m glad I got too tired and scrapped the idea of starting the build thread (in the right spot) and decided to wait until I picked up the truck to begin that journey and conversation on here. I definitely want it documented and shared in this community for many reasons and my own personal growth being one of them. The seller of the truck can not find the signed pink slip that he received with it. Doesn’t change the truck that I’m going to build it just changes the amount I pay for it and the process involved before I even take a wrench to it so there’s no point in starting a thread that will be dormant for a while. I did my research through my local registration office and it’s a lot of leg work but if you do it and detail it in an affidavit they will give you registration without issues. Considering where I live and the restorable condition that the truck is in it’s worth it for the 1/3 of the sale price that the seller and I agreed on being knocked off. Already purchased the used vehicle package to protect my ass from it being stolen or liened in anyway and that’s well worth the $20. Yea trying to track down and make contact with the last registered owner will suck but bigger trucks with 4wd run a premium around here and a budget platform in good shape to build off is worth the work involved. Giving the seller a week to find the ownership for full price or sell it for 2/3 of that being a slightly above scrap value to make it worth my headache. Can’t wait to be able to start the build thread though!
I feel an overwhelming sense of accomplishment! I decided to immediately get on trying to track down the only registered owner of the truck. I figured Facebook was the way to go. Only found one person with that name that lived in Canada but nothing useful to find out where. Sent a message and started peeping some friends and family and messaging them as anyone who has ever sent/received a fb message from someone not on their friends list knows they can be overlooked pretty easy. Pinning location was still difficult as he had friends in Toronto (truck came from GTA) but kids in Alberta but the truck had been sitting a while so the family may have moved shortly after. Well I got impatient from the lack of response and decided to google his name and found a bar owner in the GTA. Called the bar and asked for him and got the usual response a guy would get when calling somewhere and asking for its owner by name. I left a message with the situation. Minutes later got called from his personal number with a who tf are you kinda attitude but was quick to the point of the situation and he agreed to help! If the seller does not find the signed registration by next week I’ve already found the solution to get legal ownership and saved a bunch of money on initial purchase of the truck for just a few hours of research!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can at least get a notarized letter explaining the situation, that might help with getting a bench title. Also, get in touch with the agency that handles registrations and with a happy attitude, ask for their help. If they're helpful they can help make sure you have all your paperwork in order. When I got the title fixed on my son's first Crown Vic, I typo'd the VIN number in my paperwork. The tag agency didn't want to help, but I asked them to call a specific person at the tax commission. They recognized the name, gave that person a call, and because I'd already discussed what I was trying to do with her, she pushed it on through.

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can at least get a notarized letter explaining the situation, that might help with getting a bench title. Also, get in touch with the agency that handles registrations and with a happy attitude, ask for their help. If they're helpful they can help make sure you have all your paperwork in order. When I got the title fixed on my son's first Crown Vic, I typo'd the VIN number in my paperwork. The tag agency didn't want to help, but I asked them to call a specific person at the tax commission. They recognized the name, gave that person a call, and because I'd already discussed what I was trying to do with her, she pushed it on through.
I believe I got it all figured out but the way to do it here that I got from the lady at the service office is to document a reasonable attempt to contact the registered owner and acquire ownership through them with your existing bill of sale as proof of purchase. If you can not contact them write up your affidavit with the details required to show your efforts and send it off for review. If your detailed and motivated to do their request in your report then you will 99% of the time be approved. However I have made contact with the registered owner. If I don’t get the signed ownership from the seller I can get it through the registered owner and save some money for my troubles