Texas Roll Call!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amrush2112

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checking in from Taylor TX (45 min east of Austin aka Californian landing spot). Native Texan BTW. I do remember the Snowmageddon that came through when we were in Georgetown. Been here all my life and that was THE most snow I have ever seen here in over 50 years!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ah yes...the "Great Blizzard of '21"
I was 42" deep in a drift, just east of Groesbeck, for three days.
In Todd Mission.....for now.
We didn't have near that much in my part of Houston, but what we had was enough to keep everyone inside and off work for four days. H Town and any amount of ice/snow are NOT a good combination! ( All the Yankees forget their cold weather driving skills as soon as they move down here lol.)

amrush2112

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We didn't have near that much in my part of Houston, but what we had was enough to keep everyone inside and off work for four days. H Town and any amount of ice/snow are NOT a good combination! ( All the Yankees forget their cold weather driving skills as soon as they move down here lol.)
We had enough snow that the county sheriffs office Tahoe got snowed in off the side of 29 and was there for about 4 days until it thawed enough for it to melt. Lol! We had a generator and enough firewood to go all winter so inside of our house never got below 65 degrees! It was like camping at home!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We didn't get much in NW Houston but it was enough to knock the power out for several days. We kept the pipes from freezing by running the gas kitchen stove (yeah yeah) and also tried boiling pots of water on it to keep from drying the air out too much. Kinda backfired on us as it was *too much* humidity and the house was like.. I dunno. A cold jungle? It was down in the 40's INSIDE the house. Water feed to the master bathroom toilet kept trying to freeze up as it was close to an outside wall. Had my alarm set to go off each hour so I'd get up and fill the pots on the stove, and go flush the toilet just to keep the water moving. We took the most perishable food items from the fridge/freezer and put them in a cooler in the garage as it was colder out there than in the dead fridge. Also, cell service and cable were out too, as power was out in the entire area. We slept on the living room floor wrapped up in sleeping bags and layers of clothes.

It's laughable to a degree because this isn't enough snow to trouble anyone that is used to it, but Houston does not have the "infrastructure" to withstand freezing temps...and it stayed below freezing for several days in a row - I think it got down to ..17F? 16 is the record.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
We had enough snow that the county sheriffs office Tahoe got snowed in off the side of 29 and was there for about 4 days until it thawed enough for it to melt. Lol! We had a generator and enough firewood to go all winter so inside of our house never got below 65 degrees! It was like camping at home!
We live in a gooseneck trailer in an RV park, and as long as we had electricity, we ran our heaters, mainly to keep the pipes from freezing. We were all layered up (fun peeling off to go to the bathroom!). But that day and a half when we were w/o power was not fun. Stayed under the blankets, only getting up for making coffee/cocoa or food, or bathroom. We used the gas stove to heat water and cook.

amrush2112

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We live in a gooseneck trailer in an RV park, and as long as we had electricity, we ran our heaters, mainly to keep the pipes from freezing. We were all layered up (fun peeling off to go to the bathroom!). But that day and a half when we were w/o power was not fun. Stayed under the blankets, only getting up for making coffee/cocoa or food, or bathroom. We used the gas stove to heat water and cook.
Brrrr! I'm cold just reading that one! We are not equipped for that kinda cold in Texas! Too extreme!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Brrrr! I'm cold just reading that one! We are not equipped for that kinda cold in Texas! Too extreme!
Especially not when the power grid is not properly maintained. Buddy of mine in Austin, he and his girlfriend almost froze in her house when they lost power, and a friend of his actually did freeze to death in his house, after he was alone and had a heart attack.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Especially not when the power grid is not properly maintained. Buddy of mine in Austin, he and his girlfriend almost froze in her house when they lost power, and a friend of his actually did freeze to death in his house, after he was alone and had a heart attack.
LOTS of spin got put on that subject, to the point that I really don't know who to blame - the greenie weenies for expecting us to survive on wind and solar, or the gas plants for delaying proper maintenance. I suspect it's a combination of both. That, and we have a governor that always seems to wait to see what smarter people are doing before he jumps on board. Too bad he's the far lesser of two evils we have to vote for, yet again.

Richard