Testing electrical with no engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ds454ss

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I bought a 1990 454ss with no engine or transmission. I wanted to hook a battery up to it to see if the lights work and such. I grounded the battery and hooked the positive up to what I believe would go onto the alternator. I did this and the headlights came on along with running lights but no break lights or blinkers. I went to the fuse box and all the fuses were good. I took some fuses out and tested voltage, some read 12.7 volts but a lot of them had 0.this was all done with the ignition on. I then took a hot terminal from the fuse box and hooked it up to the two red wires that are on the steering column and the blinkers, air, windows, high beams worked(no break lights). Is this the proper way to test the cats electrical system? If so where do these two red wires need to be connected to? Also the two red wires that are cut flush anyone know what these would be to or if its apart of the equation? They lead toward the fuse box

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 1990 454ss with no engine or transmission. I wanted to hook a battery up to it to see if the lights work and such. I grounded the battery and hooked the positive up to what I believe would go onto the alternator. I did this and the headlights came on along with running lights but no break lights or blinkers. I went to the fuse box and all the fuses were good. I took some fuses out and tested voltage, some read 12.7 volts but a lot of them had 0.this was all done with the ignition on. I then took a hot terminal from the fuse box and hooked it up to the two red wires that are on the steering column and the blinkers, air, windows, high beams worked(no break lights). Is this the proper way to test the cats electrical system? If so where do these two red wires need to be connected to? Also the two red wires that are cut flush anyone know what these would be to or if its apart of the equation? They lead toward the fuse box

No idea what those two wires are for, but seems like sound logic to test the electrical system. If the running lights and turn signals on the back worked, it's likely just the brake pedal sensor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk