Termite's 95 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Got a chance to mess work on it some today again. Figured out the electronic box and chip deal under steering column are an immobilizer killing power to starter circuit when the chip is removed. Guess its staying where it is for now.

Followed that up with dropping the hitch and rotted out rear bumper. Discovered the bumper mount area of the frame is a bit rusty. Going to have to sort out a patch or reinforcement for that..

You must be registered for see images attach

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Is that wiring coming out or it needs to stay? I wonder if bumpers for these are plentiful or hard to find.
Most of it will likely be going away and a new trailer plug mounted on the bumper. I pulled a salvage yard bumper off a FL suburban. Was an aftermarket replacement but in good shape overall. Need to install the step pads back onto it and its ready to go on. Has been polished up and back side primed and painted

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of it will likely be going away and a new trailer plug mounted on the bumper. I pulled a salvage yard bumper off a FL suburban. Was an aftermarket replacement but in good shape overall. Need to install the step pads back onto it and its ready to go on. Has been polished up and back side primed and painted
Nice work! That's the way to go. yeah, I think we talked about wiring. Sure is nice when you have to behind some other guy's "mods" to the harness....NOT

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Nice work! That's the way to go. yeah, I think we talked about wiring. Sure is nice when you have to behind some other guy's "mods" to the harness....NOT
I'm a little stumped that they ran a wire for trailer brakes when it came equipped with one in the harness already. Who knows?

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a little stumped that they ran a wire for trailer brakes when it came equipped with one in the harness already. Who knows?
I never cease to be amazed anymore. I don't even have words. I would tell you how the brake controller in mine was hooked up, but it would take forever. Just suffice to say that it was an absolute hack job and it took me a little bit to clean it up.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I never cease to be amazed anymore. I don't even have words. I would tell you how the brake controller in mine was hooked up, but it would take forever. Just suffice to say that it was an absolute hack job and it took me a little bit to clean it up.
While on that topic, do you know what a good hear shrink is for wiring? I've done some soldering on trailer lights and rewired a few landscaping/utility trailers but always used cheap heat shrink or what was scavenged from my former employer. I'm eyeing this kit through amazon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As for that listing, it should be silent running and keep that wet sheen on the paint. At least till it is drug out and sent to the yard.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While on that topic, do you know what a good hear shrink is for wiring? I've done some soldering on trailer lights and rewired a few landscaping/utility trailers but always used cheap heat shrink or what was scavenged from my former employer. I'm eyeing this kit through amazon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As for that listing, it should be silent running and keep that wet sheen on the paint. At least till it is drug out and sent to the yard.
I have two of those kits and use them at work. Good stuff.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For power cables, I have two larger sizes I bought off Amazon. For regular wires, I use Harbor Freight's shrink tubing, but if Amazon has a nice kit, post a link, please. Just remember to delete the "https://" off the front end so that it works.