Temperature Sensor/Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 96 K1500 5.7 according to gauge is running cool. Do these gauges tend to run below actual temperature(168°)? Heat cranks, no codes, no visible signs of running rich, upper radiator hose HOT and lower, not as, but still hot. Aside from just swapping in a new sensor any ideas. Are those infra-red temp. guns accurate enough?

Last edited:

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IR temp gun is pretty accurate. See what the thermostat housing is reading at operating temp. If it is coming up to full operating temp it should be in the 185-195 range or higher. If it is showing 165, then you probably have a thermostat stuck full open.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless gauge is inaccurate, but yeah I’m planning on pulling it and dropping it in a pan to check. Heater will melt you it’s so hot and I’m still getting 15-16 mpg.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have three 98s that all read a little more than halfway between 100 and 210. The temperature gauge’s scale isn’t even linear, so I wouldn’t read too much into it much less try to determine the temperature that each tick mark corresponds to.

As mentioned above, a scanner can be used to read the ECT sensor output which is installed next to the thermostat. That’s the value that the computer uses and should be around the thermostat setpoint.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three 98s that all read a little more than halfway between 100 and 210. The temperature gauge’s scale isn’t even linear, so I wouldn’t read too much into it much less try to determine the temperature that each tick mark corresponds to.

As mentioned above, a scanner can be used to read the ECT sensor output which is installed next to the thermostat. That’s the value that the computer uses and should be around the thermostat setpoint.

That yellow line you marked is exactly where mine always is. That’s what I was thinking, that it’s just the gauge. If I’m reading that correctly, it’s indicating 168°. But as I mentioned previously, I do think it’s actually running higher to the normal temperature.
Edit- Each tick represents 13.75°

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That yellow line you marked is exactly where mine always is. That’s what I was thinking, that it’s just the gauge. If I’m reading that correctly, it’s indicating 168°. But as I mentioned previously, I do think it’s actually running higher to the normal temperature.
Edit- Each tick represents 13.75°
each tick do not represent 13.75, its not linerar. your upper limit is prob 280 or 260
The lower is probably 80-100

better than my F150

the word "Normal" on the coolant gauge N to L is 20-30 degrees. degrees

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Some dash guaged report low. I've read that you can actually remove the needles and reposition them, if necessary.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some dash guaged report low. I've read that you can actually remove the needles and reposition them, if necessary.
which is why I vote checkign the sender or replace, dont mess with threads (its ground) too much, and then using a scan tool to ID The temp when running. then make note of needle relationship or move needle if you can.

I would prefer a readout or a actual car cluster if I could find a simple one someplace lol