temperature - gauge vs ecu data, same sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My temp gauge reads low, from where I think it should. Hooked up my bluetooth dongle and app to confirm, ecu temp reads higher than the gauge "seems".

could be the gauge motor, but I'm wondering - I know the older trucks have a dedicated sensor for the coolant temp gauge vs the ecu's sensor, does this truck also have a sensor just for the gauge? might swap that out before chasing the gauge cluster, let me know-

Oops - truck is a 2000 K3500 with the 7.4

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP's 2000 carryover model may have some differences most of us are not used to seeing. The last few years of GMT400's are a bit unique in a few areas, and one of those are temperature sensors. Like my '96 C3500 had three temp sensors - one in the intake for the PCM data, one in the driver side head for the dash gauge, and one on the passenger side head for the auxiliary fan. I think it was @454cid that mentioned his later truck doesn't have all three of them; the aux fan may be PCM-controlled?

At any rate OP, just look around on your engine. The three locations I mentioned are where you're looking. On a "normal" (most GMT400's) setup, the dash gauge temperature sensor is between cylinders 1 and 3 on the driver side head. Yours almost surely has one there.. but it's worth looking just to be 100% sure. :)

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is 180 in my 1500. Gauge and PCM have separate sensors. Gauge's is in driver's head.

You must be registered for see images attach
That's what mine reads when ECU is correctly saying 190F. 2000 K3500 5.7. I just live with it.

I thought this only affected the SBC? I never understood why they had 2 temperature senders and they are not interconnected to each other to being with?

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks... i'll check and see, probably wouldn't hurt to replace it. EDIT: i supposed I could also get the multimeter out and test it before spending $$-

Funny anecdote speaking of multiple temp sensors... my 88 Supra has 5!!
-ecu temp
-gauge sender
-aux fan
-cold start injector
-a/c aux fan

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I chased my tail trying to "fix the problem" on mine: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/overheating-after-changing-temperature-sender.48791/

What probably happened is I had never paid attention that my guage didn't go the halfway mark as my other trucks (I hadn't owned the truck for that long,) then I was thinking my sender was the problem after installing the wrong sender and thinking it was overheating (it wasn't)...:rolleyes:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think it was @454cid that mentioned his later truck doesn't have all three of them; the aux fan may be PCM-controlled?

Yes, My 99 doesn't have the 3rd sensor on the passenger side for the fan. I assume it's the PCM that turns it on. It's supposed to be either coolant of 225F (I think) or excessive AC head pressure (no idea on that number).