Temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Ive searched n googled so don't flame me too hard. Bout all I can find on the 4l80 is that u can monitor temp with a scanner. That being said, before I throw one into my truck I want to run a gauge to keep an eye on it while towing. Do I pull out the original sensor? Is it located where the 4l60 test port is? Or should I wire my gauge into that? Don't wanna screw this up n have to get back under it when it's installed.

Also can I change the thing under my name that says I'm awesome to I'm an idiot? Haha

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes it is. $12 part that's zip tied into the wiring harness inside the transmission. You have to pull the pan and drain the fluid to get to it, according to what I've seen and read. This is on a 2006 Yukon xl Denali with the 6.0 and 4L80e, with the towing package and a factory transmission temperature gauge. Gauge started giving crazy reading, which sends the truck into limp mode. Fluid levels are fine, nothing actually wrong with it other than the sensor.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also can I change the thing under my name that says I'm awesome to I'm an idiot? Haha
LMAO - if you really want to do that, hover your mouse over your name and select "Personal Details" then "Custom Title"...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Yes it is. $12 part that's zip tied into the wiring harness inside the transmission. You have to pull the pan and drain the fluid to get to it, according to what I've seen and read. This is on a 2006 Yukon xl Denali with the 6.0 and 4L80e, with the towing package and a factory transmission temperature gauge. Gauge started giving crazy reading, which sends the truck into limp mode. Fluid levels are fine, nothing actually wrong with it other than the sensor.

Ok so since it's out n I'll be draining fluid anyways... Can I splice my aftermarket gauge into that? This is my first attempt at a temp gauge install so I wanna cover my bases n get as much info as possible before I screw something up.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen where guys cut a hole in the pan and weld a bung for the sensor there. That's better than using the 1/8" NPT test port where your sensor is not in the flow of the fluid. I don't know if splicing in to the internal sensor will cause issues with its controls.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I've seen where guys cut a hole in the pan and weld a bung for the sensor there. That's better than using the 1/8" NPT test port where your sensor is not in the flow of the fluid. I don't know if splicing in to the internal sensor will cause issues with its controls.

I was curious as mine is originally a 4L60e truck n I don't think my harness would have anything to plug into that spot. This has been a project set on hold cuz I screwed up my back n I'm finally getting to where I can work again so tryin to plan ahead.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Whenever I do my trans cooler lines (rusty) I am planning to put in a T fitting where the fluid enters the external cooler by the radiator. That will capture the oil temp close enough.

That mite be best idea yet. I gotta get new lines anyways.