TBI/Vortec Dipstick and Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turboedge

Reaction score
I have a TBI truck and the seal in the handle of the dipstick got wonky and prevents it from seating properly on the tube. The dipsticks for the TBI don't seem to be available anymore, but the vortec dipsticks are a different design and won't fit. The TBI have a handle that fits over a straight tube, and the vortec has a tube with an expanded end that the handle fits inside of. So my question is can the vortec tube and stick be used (as a set of course) on a TBI? Are they the right length and such?

Thanks!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a TBI truck and the seal in the handle of the dipstick got wonky and prevents it from seating properly on the tube. The dipsticks for the TBI don't seem to be available anymore, but the vortec dipsticks are a different design and won't fit. The TBI have a handle that fits over a straight tube, and the vortec has a tube with an expanded end that the handle fits inside of. So my question is can the vortec tube and stick be used (as a set of course) on a TBI? Are they the right length and such?

Thanks!
1A auto shows one for 88-92, don't suppose that includes your year? Alternatively, I'd hit the junk yard and just get the correct one, or find a way to seal the dipstick that you've got. Seems like an o ring would do the trick for way less time, effort, and money than replacing an entire dipstick tube, or cutting a universal one to fit your specific need.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree get a new O ring and try that 1st I'd bet $$$ that'll fix it. 1 on the tube to block and 1 in the handle.

The Blue Mule

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What engine? If it's a 5.7L then it looks like the TBI dipsticks and tubes are still available. Part numbers 10190973 (stick) and 10110898 (tube).

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....odel=14486&modelYear=1992&ukey_category=19398

EDIT - This is what I found looking up parts for a '92, it looks like the design changed at some point. Give me a second and I'll look them up for a '94. (That's what year your truck is, right?)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

turboedge

Reaction score
1A auto shows one for 88-92
I had not tried going older in my lookup, Thanks! PN 10190973 looks identical except for the color of the handle. I may still go to the wreck yard and see what I can find.

get a new O ring and try that 1st
The problem with the old style stick is that it does not use an o-ring, it uses a sleeve of sorts that is pressed into the handle somehow.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had not tried going older in my lookup, Thanks! PN 10190973 looks identical except for the color of the handle. I may still go to the wreck yard and see what I can find.

The problem with the old style stick is that it does not use an o-ring, it uses a sleeve of sorts that is pressed into the handle somehow.
Looks to me like Df2x4 did the hard work for you. If GM has it, I'd get it from there considering the price doesn't look too bad. Again, there's always the junk yard option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

turboedge

Reaction score
Yup, I was right. The newer TBI stuff is still available as well, though. Here's what I found for a '94 C1500 with the 5.7L. Part numbers 10233597 (stick) and 10110898 (tube). Not sure why the different stick part number but the same tube, whatever though.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....odel=14486&modelYear=1994&ukey_category=19398

Wow yes it is a 94, K1500, 350. Thanks! I have no idea the difference is for the later models. Sorry for my ineptitude in searching.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow yes it is a 94, K1500, 350. Thanks! I have no idea the difference is for the later models. Sorry for my ineptitude in searching.

You're welcome! For future reference I have two go-to sites that I use for parts research. GM Parts Direct and Wholesale GM Parts Online. GM Parts Direct has a better interface and search options IMO, but Wholesale GM Parts Online is generally more complete. I usually try GM Parts Direct first and if I can't find what I need there I'll move on to Wholesale GM Parts Online. Here's a link to both.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/

Just for the sake of making sure nothing changed between the 2WD and 4WD models I ran the search again for a '94 K1500 instead of a C1500. Same part numbers as the C1500 search.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....odel=14516&modelYear=1994&ukey_category=19398

turboedge

Reaction score
Thanks again. Found a NOS on ebay that doesn't have that giant yellow handle on it, but a black one with yellow print instead.