Tbi to Carburetor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Barnes

Reaction score
Alright now I’ve got a 95 tbi truck with a 5spd manual trans . Performance wise it’s stock other than exhaust and I just got some headers for it (not installed yet ) . In your personal opinion what would be the best carb to swap over to from tbi I already have my intake but that’s all I have so far . Note I am a paint and body man I am not a mechanic at all I don’t know too much other than maintenance unless I take it apart then I can reassemble lol .

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to gain by switching to a carb? Worse cold starting? Worse gas mileage? Worse driveability?

I'm not hating, but unless you have modified your engine beyond the TBI's ability to support, I don't see the advantage to swapping to a carb.

D Barnes

Reaction score
What are you trying to gain by switching to a carb? Worse cold starting? Worse gas mileage? Worse driveability?

I'm not hating, but unless you have modified your engine beyond the TBI's ability to support, I don't see the advantage to swapping to a carb.

I want it carbed that’s all I’m gaining. Sounds like you’ve had bad experiences with bad carburetors.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Swapping from TBI to a carb for no reason other than you want to is pointless. Like Superdave mentioned, you'd be creating lots of headaches that you have absolutely no reason to. It's your truck, do what you want, but you're probably not going to get much advice on the subject from those in the know here. I own both fuel injected and carbed vehicles and I'm always contemplating upgrading the carbed ones to fuel injection.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I want it carbed that’s all I’m gaining. Sounds like you’ve had bad experiences with bad carburetors.
I started wrenching when the only thing out there were carburetors. Your initial post indicated that you were no mechanic. I was offering advice accumulated over about 40 years.

Party on, Wayne

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone above is saying.

I'm not sure why you would be switching TO a carb unless you might be planning on going beyond the capabilities of the factory TBI in the future???

If thats the case, Consider a aftermarket self-learning throttle body instead like in the link below. You will still need a standalone distributor (for the cheaper models) like you would with a carb but you will also get a 'carburetor look.' and its about the same $$ as a good carb but with all the benefits of a self-learning injection system.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30003/overview/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed with RichLo, a stand alone fuel injection system will be much better than a carb setup in every way. However personally I'd probably look at Holley's options, I've read a couple of horror stories about FITech's offerings.

BubbaGump

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the simplicity of a carburetor, and the more authentic driving experience. I like pulling on the choke, cranking the engine, then warming it up. On a secondary vehicle. On my primary I want to jump in and go and let the computer do the work.

All that being said, I like the Edelbrock 1406 series carbs if it's 2WD, but a entry level holley if it's 4wd. The 1406 doesn't do really well at the odd angles you'll put it in off roading. Grab a HEI dizzy and you'll be set. One wire to the coil and you're done.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the simplicity of a carburetor, and the more authentic driving experience. I like pulling on the choke, cranking the engine, then warming it up. On a secondary vehicle. On my primary I want to jump in and go and let the computer do the work.

All that being said, I like the Edelbrock 1406 series carbs if it's 2WD, but a entry level holley if it's 4wd. The 1406 doesn't do really well at the odd angles you'll put it in off roading. Grab a HEI dizzy and you'll be set. One wire to the coil and you're done.

I prefer a good Q-Jet over pretty much all aftermarket carbs. If you lack the knowledge to build one yourself and calibrate it properly SMI makes a heck of a Q-Jet.