TBI to Carb Conversion Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year I did a TBI to Carb swap on my truck and I was wondering for those of you who have also done this, what y’all did with the wires that weren’t being used anymore. I taped everything but the stuff I needed (alternator, distributor power, tach, starter) and just left the rest of the harness off to the side. Should I trim the wires that aren’t being used anymore? What would be the best way to rid myself of the spaghetti of wires I have under the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
Last year I did a TBI to Carb swap on my truck and I was wondering for those of you who have also done this, what y’all did with the wires that weren’t being used anymore. I taped everything but the stuff I needed (alternator, distributor power, tach, starter) and just left the rest of the harness off to the side. Should I trim the wires that aren’t being used anymore? What would be the best way to rid myself of the spaghetti of wires I have under the hood?

I havent done this myself, but if you arent throwing codes or running bad, strip them from the harness completely.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s been running like this for about a year without any issues since pretty much everything is manual or has been running fine (such as the gauges, the power to the distributor, starter etc) so I’ll definitely just do that.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hacked and taped the stubs off back at the firewall..... but I drove it for awhile to make sure I truly didnt need them as I was still running a.c. etc.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know I can lose the wad of Top Ramen under my hood. I’ve done this swap and just have all the wires lumped off to the side. I’ll keep the AC wiring since I’ll get that working...eventually.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I did is. I started at the computer took it out followed the harness through the firewall. And from there I removed everything that when to that bulk head. You have to peak off the loom but it's very easy. May look a bit intimidating at first but not bad.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to a Holley Sniper and I currently have my extra TBI wires cut from their connectors, rolled into a 3" loop, and zip-tied under the A/C box. Once I have the truck sorted I'll nip them off at the firewall.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to a Holley Sniper and I currently have my extra TBI wires cut from their connectors, rolled into a 3" loop, and zip-tied under the A/C box. Once I have the truck sorted I'll nip them off at the firewall.
How has the sniper been treating you? I’ve looked into that for my truck and have heard mixed reviews on it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll know tomorrow if I get a chance to clear the self-learn and drive it some more. The Sniper itself worked as advertised. When I went to do the first crank to check for tach signal, it went ahead and busted right off. I had some issues with the throttle adjustment, but it was my own misunderstanding. It's also not very tolerant of exhaust leaks while it's learning - that's also the biggest complaint I've seen about any of the self-learning systems. I had to reseal my headers.

I did break the connector for the handheld display trying to get it through a firewall grommet. There's not too many good ways to get it through the firewall - the connector is about 3x the size of the cable. When I broke the connector I tried emailing Holley and over a month later I still haven't heard back from them. I managed to un-mangle the connector, and also found replacement parts on Mouser's website.

Would I buy again? Probably, but I won't count on any help from Holley, although their Sniper forum does have a lot of good questions and answers.