TBI small block intake gasket replacement (PIC HEAVY)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found this same write up several years ago somewhere on the internet. Very helpful when I did my 95 intake gasket. Now I get a chance to say "thank you Richard"
It used to live on my shop site and I'd linked it on numerous forums, but since Godaddy has held my domain hostage for a while now, my pic links everywhere are broken. Had some time as our family Christmas has been delayed for a couple days, so a little cut-and-paste from the old site and some pic uploads, presto. :D

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel like you did this specifically because of my thread . Thank you! Gives me torque specs and everything to sook for! I feel better if I have something to reference when I do more involved jobs such as this.
The factory manuals are linked for free here on the site and they've got most of what you need, particularly the torque specs, torque order, and step-by-step - but I always appreciate a nice write-up if it's something I hadn't done before. Reference pics from an actual vehicle are usually easier to see what goes where, vs. diagrams in a book.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minor reinforcement: If using a GENUINE TBI MANIFOLD, you need to use the genuine TBI intake gaskets. The TBI manifolds have a coolant passage below the air/fuel passages in the manifold, that supplies the heater core with coolant sourced from near the thermostat, to the right-rear corner of the manifold.

You must be registered for see images attach

IF you're not using a genuine TBI intake manifold, the regular intake gaskets would be needed to keep the heater core supplied with enough hot coolant.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
@Schurkey what would happen if one was to not use the gasket that have blocked coolant ports on a tbi intake? Just curious. I have the correct ones for my application.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point of the blocked-off coolant passage on the TBI gasket is to force coolant flow through the passage in the manifold--keeping the manifold at a nice, regulated temperature for good fuel vaporization in the cold, and not overheating when it's hot. There's a cast-in passage that allows coolant flow from the thermostat area to that right-rear corner where the quick-disconnect supplies the heater core.

Allowing free coolant flow from the head up to that QD heater core supply port will reduce coolant flow through the underside of the intake manifold, defeating the "controlled temperature" it's supposed to have. The coolant would kind of stagnate there.