TBI problem, Truck won't stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah..lots of helpful info that I can look at. Hopefully I can get back to attaching this issue within the next few days..life got in the way.

I also have a chance to buy a complete Edelbrock 3501 Performer Series Multi-point EFI System for $200 from a buddy who's doing a LS swap. Since I'll be in there, would this conversion be worth it or not. I understand I still need to correct my issues, but is this an upgrade going from a batch to sequential firing ?
Edelbrock 3501 Performer Series Multi-Point EFI System - Amazon.com

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...p/B000GVKOSQ&usg=AOvVaw14KcdeYHepdqbRTvRc4zRw

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3501 was probably a nice upgrade from the standard TBI.

Given that it's discontinued by Edelbrock, there's probably zero parts support if something is wrong with it.. Injectors would be no big deal, but the piggyback processor would be.

I used to see those for sale with parts missing; I contacted Eddy and they didn't even want to talk about 'em.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A small update. Changed all spark plugs to Delco. Two were fouled out.

I changed the fuel pressure regulator to the adjustable one. Still no better.

Starts up better but continues to die when I mash the peddle. If I'm cruising down the road and mash the peddle it responds very well, no hesitation.

I get no engine codes. I bought the scan program for my laptop made by Red River as suggested in an earlier post, and this is more difficult trying to get working than the truck... Lol

Obviously I don't have something set correctly with the program as it's not be reading my truck once plugged in.

Any-hooooo..... I'll plug away more.

I'm at the brink of just taking it to a shop. My last resort. I was hoping to do this myself as I'm a DYI guy and love learning. But this electronic stuff is killing me... Ugh,

One more thing.. I currently do not have a cat on my exhaust system. Will this create a problem too? I'm still seeing black smoke out the exhaust. I know this isn't the real problem but is it part of the problem?

Thanks

Last edited:

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW....finally found the issue. The Coolant Temp Sensor was bad. The one thing that I never changed. Never dawned on me. I unplugged the old and the plastic housing just spun in a circle...duh $16 new one and Vroooom !

Next up...install a cat. Any suggestion, or any after market will be ok ?

Thanks everyone who jumped in with suggestions, it was GREATLY appreciated !!

I feel like I wasted everyone's time, yet with forums like these that allows us to fix problems.... a dozen minds are better than one.

Now I want to figure this scan software out. I can see that it would be very helpful.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
yeah the ECT sensor will sneak up on ya when you least expect it. I ran into this myself, I got mine straight from the dealer, because the parts store one failed me.