TBI motor into a Vortec truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Guru Of Dirt You either need to drill the bypass holes in the heads or you need to run the Vortec water pump. Some people will argue it's not necessary, but I had random overheating spikes until I switched water pumps.

The easy button is running a Vortec spreadbore intake with a TBI adapter to keep your factory fuel injection. If you're swapping to the Vortec injection, that's past my skill set. I used a Vortec squarebore intake with a Holley Sniper, but I also have an agressive cam, so the factory TBI was no longer an option.

Last edited:

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the computer for your truck is not compatible with tbi 1st off. And I don’t know if they make a stand alone controller for 4l60e so you would need a controller for the tbi and the transmission separately. I got a spider setup and computer programmed by Wester’s Garage good guy really knows his stuff. Bought a bare set of small port vortec bowtie heads which have the dual bolt pattern and ported and filled the stock intake and pipe plugged the egr and port matched the intake gaskets with a set of edelbrock gaskets that were for their vortec heads. I’m currently waiting for FAST to make more crank triggers as I used a double roller timing chain and am going to run the trigger externally and really a 4l80e is the way to go for a transmission the 60 really is not very stout internally and is much simpler than a 60 as far as the internals are concerned. I never had 1 apart but they are identical to a th400 with the addition of OD the valve body is the biggest difference. The really only special tools you need is the lip seal tool, and unit compressor and a dial indicator to check end play even the stand on ebay isn’t much money. If you can do an engine you can do a transmission. The overhaul manual isn’t much either. I don’t run the wave/cushion plates and just get different thickness steels to get the right clearance in the units and I’m sure you could have a shop do the units if you don’t want to buy the tooling make sure to tell them you don’t want the cushion/wave plates in the units