TBI motor into a Vortec truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have been preparing to build a 383 for my 1997 Tahoe to get some extra power for street and offroad driving. I was chatting about it with a co-worker and he put me in touch with someone who has a full setup out of an older truck. A built long block with edelbrock performer heads and a 1st gen whipple (opcon autorotor) supercharger kit with the additional injector kit and the msd ignition retard module. He also has a built 4l60e and transfer case, and exhaust that go with it for what I think is a very reasonable price. Whole setup supposedly has about 10,000km on it, and I have no reason to doubt him based on what I can see.

How difficult is it to retrofit the TBI style motor into a truck that originally came with the Vortec? I found lots of info on the opposite. What computer would I need to control this beast? Would this require an engine harness from an older truck? Am I better off sticking to my 383 build and keeping it simple? The owner kept saying it should all be plug and play, but Its clearly not that simple. AC and Aternator are on opposite ends of the engine bay, so likely new hoses and cables. I'm not scared of a project, but the road map isn't clear to me, as Im a bit oblivious to the differences between the early and late model years.

Attachments

• 350whipple.jpg
    350whipple.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 24

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to retrofit the TBI style motor into a truck that originally came with the Vortec? I found lots of info on the opposite.
"Fitting" the engine is zero problem. Everything bolts right up.
"Fitting" the supercharger, and getting it to run without dicking with the computer may not be so easy.

What computer would I need to control this beast?
If you're keeping the TBI, I'd think you'd need a custom-tuned TBI computer; or an aftermarket computer. I don't think the Vortec computer will be happy trying to drive two injectors instead of eight. But I don't know computer tuning. Don't take my word for it.

Would this require an engine harness from an older truck?
Harness and computer--but as said, this is not my area of expertise.

AC and Aternator are on opposite ends of the engine bay, so likely new hoses and cables.
Bolt the Vortec accessory brackets to the TBI engine. Use the Vortec accessories in their original locations. Or does that interfere with the Whipple?

Given a choice, I think I'd go with the 383 vs. an aftermarket supercharger blowing into a TBI. And in some markets--California and others with Cali-style emissions regs--retrofitting an earlier engine control system will be illegal.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you look, that's actually a draw through setup. I wonder if you couldn't just hook 4 injectors to each bank? Or just one to each bank? Not sure if TBI injectors draw more current than the poppets or regular injectors do. Aside from that, a 411 would be able to run the setup with ease. Leave the cam sensor out of the equation so the PCM batch fires the injectors and I think it might be doable. But forget about that "built" 4L60.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you look, that's actually a draw through setup. I wonder if you couldn't just hook 4 injectors to each bank? Or just one to each bank? Not sure if TBI injectors draw more current than the poppets or regular injectors do. Aside from that, a 411 would be able to run the setup with ease. Leave the cam sensor out of the equation so the PCM batch fires the injectors and I think it might be doable. But forget about that "built" 4L60.
0411 in single bank batch fire, use the Optimum TBI injector pod that use 2 regular port injectors. 2 injectors in the TBI, and 2 behind it using the whipple auxiliary injector setup. 4 identical sized injectors to feed it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
0411 in single bank batch fire, use the Optimum TBI injector pod that use 2 regular port injectors. 2 injectors in the TBI, and 2 behind it using the whipple auxiliary injector setup. 4 identical sized injectors to feed it.

Sounds like Vikingdude needs to open that wallet.

Guru Of Dirt

Reaction score
Currently am studying doing this also as I have a 94 2500 5.7 5 speed 4x4 work truck frame is about shot from rust living most of its life up there. Found a 1998 work truck 4.3 vortec 5 speed 4x4 with thrown rod in motor.
Both just beater farm/ hunting trucks got $1100 in the both of em.

Could I just change whole top end off 5.7 tbi to vortec 5.7 heads, intake and fuel injection?

Thx

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That, the water pump bypass, and make sure you use the Vortec knock sensor. You'd also need to swap in the crank reluctor and get a new timing cover for the Vortec. I'm probably still missing something.